Chapter 28: Harmonic Convergence

Everyone was in a frenzy. It took a little bit to calm mom down. I gripped her hand as she held Rohan, trying to breathe.

"We'll get her back." I kept saying. With the two spirit portals open, there was a buzz of energy under my hands. It wasn't painful this time. It was different, like there was a constant flow of adrenaline running through me.

After a rushed conversation back to the temples, we settled on the first step: getting back to Republic City.

We needed to act fast. Both portals were now open, leaving Unalaq the liberty to free Vaatu from the tree with no issues. Dad wanted to speak to President Raiko once more to ask for help in dealing with Unalaq and his hoard of dark spirits. He figured if the situation was dire enough, the President would help.

By evening, we arrived in Republic City. Dad zeroed in on the bright lights of the pro-bending arena, spotting a large crowd. There seemed to be a large reception behind held, red carpet, cameras, and reporters. We spotted the President amongst the crowd. To my surprise, he was accompanied by Asami and Bolin.

Korra jumped off the bison, rushing to the President. I quickly followed.

"President Raiko!" She shouted as the President turned around.

"Avatar Korra?" He asked, "What's wrong?"

"Sir, I know I've asked for your help before, but things have changed." Korra explained, "Unalaq doesn't just want to talk over the South anymore. He wants to destroy the whole world."

A look of fear passed over the President's face. "Unalaq is going to destroy the world?" Bolin said, alarmed. "He really does have a doomsday device?"

I poked Bolin's arm, "What are you even talking about?" I asked, "What have you been up to?"

"Oh," Bolin said, grinning, "Things." I rolled my eyes as Korra continued to speak to the President.

"He's trying to release a powerful dark spirit during Harmonic Convergence, which is only a few days away. If he succeeds, the world as we know it, is over. Sir, we desperately need your help."

To my surprise, President Raiko shook his head. "I'm sorry, Korra, but my answer is still no."

Dad grew angry, storming up to Raiko, "There are lives on the line! And my daughter is one of them! Raiko, you must reconsider!"

President Raiko replied calmly, "I'm aware that lives are on the line. And that's precisely why my troops are staying here. If the world is going to be thrown into chaos as you claim, I need to protect my citizens. I'm sorry."

"Sir," Bolin added in, "Nuktuk needs your help. I know you love helping people." I stared at Bolin in complete confusion.

"What are you talking about?" I half whispered. Bolin didn't hear me, eagerly trying to convince Raiko. But Raiko still shook his head.

"Son, I appreciate you saving my life and I'm a big fan of your work, but my decision is final."

Korra opened her mouth to say something, but I cut her off. "Let's not waste our time here." I said, glancing at President Raiko. I leveled a glare at him, still running off the anger I had felt when Jinora was captured, "I hope that you know however, President Raiko, that once the world is thrown out of balance, we can all have the liberty of blaming you for never stepping in to help prevent the world from being destroyed."