Chapter 6: Match Set

"Kinda?" Bolin said almost hurt, as Mako gave me a side hug "Says the person who came to almost all of our matches last season!"

"Wait what?" Korra said, alarmed. She pointed a finger accusingly at me. "You didn't tell me any of this!"

"Because you," I said, poking Korra's finger with my own, "Never asked me about the legendary Fire Ferrets."

Bolin grinned, pulling my head under his arm as he ruffled my head. "I knew you were a fan." he said almost tearful.

Korra shook her head as I tried to fix the mess of my hair. "Anyway, how did you meet them?" I asked her, nodding to the two brothers.

"I met them when I first snuck in." Korra said, "But the real important question is, how did you meet them? And how did you sneak in all the time?"

"I didn't have to sneak in." I said a little smugly, "Eventually they gave me a backstage pass thing and I always used it."

"And you didn't bother to tell me?" Korra said, still aghast.

"Well she stopped coming to a lot of our matches in the end," Mako said, "Got busy being a little government girl."

"Hey," I said as Mako nudged me, "I thought you said you were proud of me."

"I am." Mako said, "But I still get liberty to tease you."

"Same to you." I stuck my tongue out at him, before looking around the room. "Anyway, where's Hasook?"

Immediately, both of the brothers faces' turned dark. "Hasook's a no good no show." Mako muttered. "We've got no backup either and the show's about to start." As if on cue, a referee opened the door.

"You got two minutes to come out ready to play, or you're disqualified." He said, leaving the door open behind him.

I turned around to the two remaining players "Um, what happens now?"

Mako slumped down on the bench. Bolin followed in suit. "Our shot at the tournament is gone." Bolin mourned, hanging his head. "The best we can do is try again next year..."

"That's...too bad..." I began, slowly turning my head to Korra. "Unless...?" Korra met my gaze, eyebrows perking up.

She mouthed, "What?" as I jerked my head at the stadium across the water. I mouthed back, "Your call." as the young Avatar's eyes widened, quickly nodding. She turned to the brothers.

"How about me?" Mako and Bolin looked up at Korra. "I'm a top-notch water bender, if I do say so myself."

"But you're the Avatar." Bolin said, "Isn't that cheating?"

"It's not cheating if I only do water bending." Korra said with a grin.

Mako shook his head, "No way. I'd rather forfeit than look like a fool out there."

Korra scoffed, looking offended. "Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence."

The ref entered again. "Time's up. You in or out?"

"We're in!" Korra quickly replied. The ref nodded, not really caring who was the replacement. He quickly left as Mako looked armed.

"We are?"

"Yes!" Bolin said, as Korra went to the closet to get her gear on.

"Hey, I didn't agree to this!" Mako said, standing up.