Chapter 7: They Come With A Message

The nightmares never really stopped. Yume pulled me into the Spirit World more frequently. But it was the nightmares that happened every night. I didn't tell anyone about them. I wanted to figure them out myself. But I had no leads to where to start looking. Not to mention I had a job, and some new friends with a strict training regimen.

I tried to go with Korra in the early mornings to their pro-bending practices, but found it hard, as I was getting less and less sleep everyday. On the mornings I did manage to wake up, I would bring the team treats from the local bakery, or from mom.

I pushed open the door to the training room, just as a larger man, wearing a fancy suit and hand pass by me. He nodded and smiled in a greeting as he walked past.

I held up a bag to the three tired looking individuals. "Er, I brought peach buns." Bolin's eyes lit up as Mako sourly packed away his bag.

"Honestly Yuki, you are the best!" Bolin said, graciously taking one and shoving it in his mouth. He let out a little sigh of content.

I glanced at the others. "Um, is everything okay?" Mako sighed.

"Not exactly. The Fire Ferrets need to pay thirty thousand yuan to enter the championship. And we have nothing." My face fell.

"What? But I thought you guys already got in by winning those games. They can't just ask you to pay up again!"

"Apparently not." Mako grumbled, slinging his bag over his shoulder. "It's fine, I'll figure something out." The weary firebender headed towards the door "I always do." Bolin trailed after him, taking the peach buns.

"Did you know about Mako and Bolin's past?" Korra asked in the silence. I nodded,

"Yea, their parents... they were killed. And they lived on the streets for a long time."

Korra nodded, "Yea... I just found out."

"Oh."

Korra and I both stood in the empty training room. My eyes felt heavy. I shook my head a few times and grabbed her arm. "Anyway, my dad's probably expecting you for airbending training. We better go."

~~~

Later that day, I sat with Ikki watching Korra train. Jinora was instructing Korra as she made her way through the spinning gates.

"Good." JInora called out, "Light on you feet!" I heard the shuffle of feet sliding across stone, with the whistle of the gates spinning on their gears. The sunset was warm on my skin and I began to feel drowsy. Ikki shifted as I slid down, tucking my hands behind my head and closing my eyes.

"Wake me up for dinner." I mumbled to my sister as I felt her pat my head.

But, my sleep time was short lived as I heard Jinora say, "Ohh, he's cute. Korra, is that the handsome firebender boy that drives you crazy?"

My eyes opened faster than I would've wanted as I shot straight up.

"What?" was the only word of out of sleep-muddled mouth. My two sisters ignored me, as Ikki jumped up,

"Does he drive you crazy in a bad way, or does he drive you crazy like you like him?" She asked teasingly. In a panic, Korra earthbended a slab of rock that my sisters jumped away from, giggling and running off. Korra glanced at me, a little flushed. I frantically rubbed my eyes.

"Korra-!"

"Heeeey, Mako!" Korra said quickly cutting me off and turning to Mako.

"You seen Bolin?" Mako asked, giving Korra and I both nods for a greeting. I groaned silently, standing up and slinking over to them.