Chapter 58: Spirit Shenanigans

Wu nervously twisted the phone cord, listening to the dull buzz of the phone. Relief kicked in once he heard the click, and a familiar stiff voice.

"Hello, Ling Residence."

"Ling!" Wu tried not to shout, "Uh, a-are you busy?"

"...Not particularly, why?"

"Weeeeell..." Wu glanced at Mako.

It was early morning, and they were still in Wu's room. Yuki's head was bowed, eyes closed. Her arms were around Yuno. The boy looked like he was sleeping, having stopped twitching hours ago. Mako was sitting in front of them. He hadn't really budged from his spot since Yuki and Yuno descended into the Spirit World. He ate the food that Wu slid to him, read some books to pass the time, sometimes just stared at the two, but he hadn't really done much of anything else. Wu was getting worried. Sure, Mako had every right to stay here and watch over Yuki, but he had already ignored a call from Beifong and if that wasn't a little bit bad, Wu didn't know what else. He needed to call someone to keep Mako company other than himself. Either that or find someone to get Mako off his ass.

"I have a bit of situation with Yuki and Yuno."

There was a loud, "Who's that?" over the phone followed by Ling's, "Mari, pipe down!"

"Are you with someone?" Wu asked.

"It's Mari." Ling said dismissively, "What did you need again?"

"Oh. Uh." Wu then did his best to retell everything that had happened since yesterday. "...and so since Yuki and Yuno are in the Spirit World, Mako hasn't moved. I doubt he's even hearing anything I'm saying right now. Anyway, any chance you could come over? Pull him out of this?"

"And why are you asking me?" Ling asked. It sounded like the prince was moving around his apartment, "Can't you ask one of Yuki's family members?"

Wu grew anxious, "Well, I... I'm not familiar with Yuki's family," he tried to fib more, "And besides, you guys are Yuki's friends! Mako might listen to you..." Wu sighed, running a hand through his hair, "Look, I didn't know who else to call. You're like the only other guy I can consider my friend right now so... calling you seemed logical."

There was a long silence before Ling said, "I'll be over in a few." and then hung up.

Wu stared at the receiver, both puzzled and relieved.

"Cool," he said to himself, glancing in the mirror. "Very cool," he said, jumping up to fix his hair and change out of whatever unkempt pajamas he had on.

Twenty minutes later, a servant knocked on Wu's door to announce that he had visitors. Wu opened the door, surprised to see not only Ling, but Mari as well.

"Hi!" he said, stepping back. Mari burst through the door, already rushing towards Yuki's unconscious state.

"Oh my spirits, is she okay-?" Mako jerked forward, blocking her from grabbing Yuki.

"She's fine," he said, trying to reassure Mari, "She's just... not in her body right now."

Mari gave Mako an incredibly puzzled look, turning back to kneel in front of her friend. "It just looks like she's sleeping."

"Yea," Mako's face was grim, "To be honest, that's my only comfort right now."

Ling stood by Wu, observing the interaction. "So?" he asked, "Mako confessed?"