Chapter 39: Familial ties, love 'em or hate 'em

Korra stormed back onto the airship.

"I found out." She said, flinging the door open. Beifong jumped and turned around. "I found out why you're so against coming here." Beifong's eyes grew wide at the sight of her sister from behind Korra. "Why didn't you ever tell me you had a sister?"

"Half-sister." Beifong retorted.

"Same mom, different dads, so what?" Su said, placing her hand over her heart. "We're blood, Lin, and after thirty years, the least you could do is say hello."

"I have nothing to say to you." Beifong said curtly.

Korra groaned. "You two haven't spoken in thirty years? How come?"

"Ask her, I've tried." Su said.

Beifong scoffed, "Oh, don't put that on me. You're the one who tore our family apart."

"And you've done a bang-up job keeping it that way."

"You haven't changed one bit have you?"

The two women glared at each other. Su was the first one to relent, taking a step back in temporary surrender.

"Look, we can stay here arguing about the past all day, but that's not the reason the Avatar came here." Su turned to Korra. "My daughter is thrilled to meet you."

Korra turned to Beifong, hopeful for a change of heart,

"Lin, your niece is the new airbender! Isn't that amazing?"

"Yeah." Beifong grumbled, "Terrific."

Su led the group (plus Beifong) back to her house. In the backyard garden were several people already hanging out. Two boys were flinging metal discs at each other, between two metal columns.

"Those are my two youngest, Wei and Wing." Su said, "They're playing a game called Power Disc. They invented it all on their own." As they walked past the two boys, Su called out, "Oh, nice power Wei!" As Wei knocked down his twin.

"Ha!" Wei said, pumping his fist, "Wing goes down!" Su smiled at them, leading the group further down the garden pathway. The next person the group encountered was a rather eccentric boy bending metal into what I assumed were sculptures.

"Huan, I'd like you to meet the Avatar and her friends. And your Aunt Lin."

"Nice to meet you." Korra said. Huan mumbled a "hey" without glancing at her.

"Wow, that's a really nice... banana?" Bolin said, peering at Huan's artwork. "Yes, very, very lifelike."

Huan paused, and sighed, turning to Bolin,

"It's not a banana! It was inspired by Harmonic Convergence; represents the dawning of a New Age. Obviously."

Bolin chuckled, "Oh, yea, no, uh, I can... I can totally see that...." As we walked away Bolin muttered, "I mean, that's a banana, right?"

"Drop it." Yuki said with a stifled laugh.

Su eventually led the group to a pavilion. Under the shaded area was a girl was sitting on a bench, reading a book.

"And this is my daughter, Opal." Su said. Opal looked up, putting down her book. She had brilliant green eyes, and a kind smile. Her hair was cut short, just tickling her chin. She rushed to meet the new visitors with a bright smile,