Chapter 41: A Self Reflection

Yuki woke up to the sound of Asami knocking on her door.

"Please," Asami said, "Let's just talk." But Yuki was done talking. She ignored the knocking until she heard a defeated sign from Asami, and faded footsteps. Part of her felt bad, but most of her felt like blocking out the entire world.

Yuki slept in, only to be woken up by harsher footsteps. There was a short two second knock before the door was kicked open.

Yuki rose from her bed. She hadn't been sleeping, just lying there planning out the next few days in her head.

Beifong stood at the doorway, arms folded, in her usual police uniform.

"Where are the others?" she demanded, "And why are you not with them?"

"We fought." Yuki said, "A couple of times."

"And?" Beifong tapped her foot, "Where did they go?"

"To find Zaheer," Yuki replied.

"And you didn't want to go?"

"Pft, yea. Something like that."

Beifong's eyes tilted in concern. She neared Yuki, metal footsteps clanking against the wooden floor. "What's wrong, kid?" her voice became gentle. Yuki hated how nice it sounded.

"I'm going to the North," Yuki said, "See my boyfriend, check up on Kira. And then I'll visit my dad and the other airbenders."

"The argument was that bad?"

Yuki ignored Beifong's comment, "I would take Opal to the Air Temple myself, but I have things to do."

Beifong studied Yuki's face, slowly nodding, "Fine," she said, "I can arrange the airship to take Opal to the Northern Air Temple. But you have to promise to stay in contact."

Yuki frowned at Beifong, "I can't promise that."

"Well at least you're finally being honest."

"Go easy on me, chief."

"I won't" Beifong roughly squeezed Yuki's shoulder, "You've been acting off. I won't ask what happened between you and the others, but I need to know you'll be safe."

"I'll be with Desna," Yuki muttered, "He's all about keeping me safe."

"And then after that?"

"I'll be with dad, so yea."

Beifong sighed, "It'll have to do," she grumbled, "Now go get your dragon, she's been circling the area and it's making people anxious."

Yuki perked up, "Yue?"

"Yea, that. I thought you trained her better, to stay out of the open."

"I did," Yuki picked up her bag, making her way out of the house. Beifong followed.

Up in the sky, Yue circled in large loops, looking down at Su's estate. Spotting her owner, Yue flew down, a rumble in her chest, spewing dust and dirt as she landed.

Yuki held her hand out, patting the snout of her dragon, "Sorry," she said, laughing as Yue tried to tackle her, "I'm sorry! Spirits, I'm okay."