Chapter 22: A Terrible Awakening

For me, it was common to have crazy, realistic dreams. But the line between what was fake and real tended to blur a little too much. So when I felt as if I was being suffocated, I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or not. I tried to open my eyes, but when I did, everything was blurry, spinning. Breathing was hard and the whole world felt cold. I tried speaking, but only choked. I tried sitting up, but something forced me down. I tried moving my arms, but they were pinned at my sides, too heavy to lift.

I could hear my heartbeat thundering in my chest, as I tried to breath; the air was too thick, I felt lightheaded-

My eyes snapped open. Warmth. Fresh air. A clear head. I sat up quickly with a small gasp. Jinora's hand slipped off my chest. I stared down at my hands, clenching and unclenching them. Looking out to the flap of the tent, I saw that light was shining through.

I stood up, slightly shaking, making my way to the front of the tent flaps. I closed my eyes, flashing to the blurry and dark vision in the dream. I pressed a hand to my mouth to stop myself from letting a sob escape. Exhaling with a shaky breath, I crouched down, rubbing my hands against my arms tightly.

"I'm here." I whispered to myself, "I can move." I stood up again, inhaling deeply. I had nightmares before, but this... I had never felt so scared in my life.

Shaking my head and lightly slapping my cheeks, I pulled on my winter coat and walked outside. I took a shuddery breath, letting cool air fill my lungs.

"What happened?" I asked out loud, "What did you make me see?" But Yume didn't reply. I rubbed my forehead, kicking snow around my feet. "You can't scare me like that." I said bitterly, "What if what you showed me is true?"

Silence greeted me. I paced around a few times in front of the tent before making my way towards one side of the hill. I found a patch of untouched snow and sat down, warming my hands together.

"Fine, if you won't talk to me here, I'll talk to you there."

I closed my eyes and began to mediate. Feeling a familiar jolt, and a sudden warmth surrounding me, I opened my eyes. I had made it to the spirit world. I looked up to see my Blue Dragon Spirit hovering above me.

"So," I began, "What was that?"

That was not me.

I glared at her, "Don't play dumb."

Dragons don't play dumb.

"Then what in the spirits was that?" I gripped my arms, "That... feeling. It felt like..." Like I was dying.

Yume circled around me, her blue body, arching around, twisting.

Something dwells in the North and South.

"Like what?" I thought hard, "Are you talking about the Angry Spirits?"

It could be related.

"Could be?" I tried to stay calm, "Look, cryptic answers are cool and all, but this seems like a great time to start being specific with your answers!"

Your family is traveling to the Air Temples today. It's best if you stay with the Avatar.

"Oh great dragon, did you not witness the huge argument we had last night?

You must put your differences aside and keep Korra safe.

I rolled my eyes, "She doesn't want my help."