Chapter 65: Gassed Up

Yuki awoke to a gentle kiss on her cheek. She stiffened, stretching with a groan.

"Where are you going?"

"To work."

She felt another kiss to her cheek.

"Don't go," Yuki murmured, squinting. Mako hovered above her, police uniform still unbuttoned.

"I've got a job to do," Mako teased, dragging his hands through her hair, "And so do you, last time I checked."

Yuki buried her face in her pillow.

"Work sucks."

"Believe me, I know."

Yuki peeked out from the blanket, watching Mako button up his jacket. He did it slowly, his newly bandaged hand proving to slow him down.

"How is your hand?"

"My arm and hand are completely fine."

Mako sat down on the bed, leaning over to tug the blanket off Yuki's head. "So don't worry too much."

"I will worry," Yuki grumbled, "Because you've done enough worrying about me."

"That doesn't even make sense."

"Hmph. It doesn't have to make sense."

Mako chuckled again. The sound made Yuki feel warm. She scooted next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder. He pressed a kiss to her head.

"I'll be back in the evening."

"Me too."

"Then, I'll see you soon."

Once Mako left, Yuki dragged herself out of bed. She got ready, finding the house to be empty of her family. They were earlier risers, having already gone to the camp to help Zhu-Li. After grabbing a bite to each from the kitchen, Yuki went to go help her family. She arrived just after breakfast was being handed out, opting to walk around the camp to assist people with their needs.

For the rest of the morning, and most of the afternoon, Yuki busied herself with helping those that asked for any assistance. Sometimes it was to look for someone's belongings in the wreckage, or at least try to. Sometimes it was requests to find pets. Yuki had fished a few cats and dogs out of cramped areas by the time the sun was setting.

She sat down on the grass, leaning against a metal pole. Yuki sat by the gates of the camp, rubbing her legs. The spirits were quiet today. They were probably still resting from the earlier fiasco. Yuki wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. It all felt like a waiting game. Waiting for something to happen whilst feeling anxious.

Not to mention, the dragon-eel spirit's question still agitated Yuki. Was she for the spirits or for the humansʔ It was a cruel question to ask.

Yuki stood up, stretching her legs once more before heading in a different direction. She walked towards the construction sites where Asami's office was at.

~~~

When she arrived, Yuki was quick to notice the sudden increase in security around Asami's office.