Chapter 15: Avatar's Abduction

Dad helped me up from the stone floor. I brushed off flecks of dirt and dried leaves as he explained some new predicaments.

"There's been an emergency."

"There always is an emergency."

Dad gave me a look that seemed to fondly say, yes but shut up, before saying, "Korra's missing."

I could only snap my head up at him with wide eyes.

"What? When?"

"Last night." Dad continued, "Apparently there was an attack at City Hall. Tarrlok was attacked as well."

I narrowed my eyes. "What was Tarrlok doing there?"

"I know you're quick to blame him," Dad said, "But we also have to consider what Korra was doing there too."

"I'm getting a little tired of staying unbiased." I grumbled, following dad down the stone ledge and towards the house.

"I know," Dad patted my head, "I'm heading to City Hall soon. Meet you in about thirty minutes? Go change, I'll be with Oogi."

I nodded and headed up to my room. On my way there, mom stopped me and gave me a bone-crushing hug. I tucked my head in the crook of her neck, breathing in the peony smell she always had. She released me, squishing my face to kiss me on the cheek.

"I love you." She whispered, squeezing my hand. I beamed, feeling lighter and lighter.

"I love you too."

~~~

City Hall was a mess when we arrived. There were reporters everywhere, trying to get inside the hall. And when they spotted my familiar face, they lost their minds.

"Yuki! A word please!"

"From the events yesterday, are you going to explain yourself?"

"With the disappearance of Avatar Korra, are you planning on taking charge?" I ignored them all, following dad inside.

City Hall's main court room had a broken-down pillar, as well as a bola wrapped around another pillar. Debris littered the pews and round table. The footsteps of people kept accidentally kicking up dust left and right. Tarrlok was sitting on the steps, getting his arm healed.

"What happened?" Dad asked, "What was Korra doing at City Hall?"

Tarrlok stood up, looking weary. "As I told Chief Saikhan, Korra can to my office late last night. She was upset that I arrested her friends. And provoked another, even if I still believe I got the short end of the stick there." He glanced at me.

"Tarrlok, please," dad moved his arm in front of me, "Focus."

Tarrlok turned back to dad, "Kora asked me to release her other friends and... that's when the Equalists attacked." I looked around again, viewing the destruction. How had they managed to capture Korra?

"I tried to protect Korra, but we were outnumbered. Then, I was electrocuted. When I came to, the police had arrived. But Korra was gone. I'm so sorry." Tarrlok hung his head, in what I considered to be an act of self-pity. But I said nothing as he turned to Chief Saikhan.

"Chief Saikhan, mobilize the entire police force. We have to find the Avatar." Tarrlok then turned to me. "Aside from the Avatar's disappearance, there's plenty of reporters outside waiting for an explanation from you."