Chapter 50: On the Cusp of Yearning

Yuki gripped the metal railings tightly. Sweat slicked her palms. She wobbled more than she would've liked to. Exhaling, she pushed one leg forward, then the next.

"That's four wonderful steps," Minni stood at the other side, one hand ready to catch her if she fell.

"They don't feel wonderful," Yuki muttered through gritted teeth.

"Patience, Yuki."

"Trying." Yuki grunted. Her heart was beating rather fast, and her muscles were screaming at her.

"We can take a break."

"I'm fine -ah!" Yuki slipped and fell, just short of falling roughly on her tailbone. Minni rushed forward to support her fall.

Her attendant smiled, helping her back into the wheelchair, "We'll take a break."

Yuki slumped in her wheelchair, wearily looking outside. Minni opened up the window to get the colder air inside. Fall was starting to come.

"You'll get there soon enough," Minni handed Yuki a glass of water, "I mean look at your arms! You're getting stronger every day."

Yuki drank her glass, silently grumbling about the fact that holding a cup without shaking shouldn't be that big a deal. She wouldn't say these things out loud, she knew Minni meant well.

"I heard that your boyfriend is coming soon."

Yuki perked up at the word, boyfriend, "Desna? Yea, he's coming to visit." Yuki fumbled with the cup in her hands, "I told him to take his time, but he didn't listen."

"He must miss you."

"Yea," Yuki smiled, "I miss him too."

Yuki had started walking. Or rather, she was trying. Her legs were weak skinny things, both ridden with bullet scars. Every day she tried to stand and walk a little more. Minni was encouraging, insisting that each day she walked a little more, but Yuki wasn't satisfied. But even if she wanted to practice more, Minni, her mother, her siblings, even her father, all insisted that she rest more than she worked.

"You have time," Tenzin half-lectured his daughter, "Your siblings and I are already helping out with Ba Sing Se, and Republic City is well under control with Beifong."

"I know that!" Yuki sighed, "I just want to be useful."

Tenzin patted her head, "You have helped so much," he said, "Allow yourself to rest."

"Resting is boring." Yuki grumbled, wheeling herself outside.

~~~

Two weeks, after Yuki had called, Desna whisked himself onto a ship to head towards Air Temple Island. His sister had given him a rare smile before he left, telling him to tell Yuki hello for her. He thought of it weird, but promised he would, anticipation brewing in his head.

Upon arrival, Desna rushed out. It felt very undignified, but he had an odd skip to his steps that he wouldn't have had otherwise. He gave Pema a quick greeting, following her gesture towards the courtyard, a knowing smile on her face. He skidded to a stop at the entrance, eyes searching for a familiar figure.