Captiolo (6) Sei ~ His Words

He left me. He left me standing alone on the balcony like an idiot for just about fifteen minutes.

I guess it was my fault for actually believing he would even come back. I mean, he was a married man with a child, for christ's sake!

I had gotten a text from Tony not long ago, saying how he wanted to talk to me about something and asking if I could find him when I got home.

I reluctantly agreed, making sure to find him after I was done with work.

"Hello, Miss. Lynn. Mr. Stark is currently expecting you in the lab." Jarvis said as I stepped inside the large house.

"When is he not?" I joked to the A.I. "Thanks, Jarvis."

I made my way downstairs, seeing the broken glass everywhere.

"So, we're in agreement?" I heard Tony's voice.

"Yeah, I guess we are." I heard Pepper respond, sounding off.

"Hello? Tony? Pepper?" I carefully stepped over the glass on the floor, walking over to the two.

"Avery? What are you doing here?" Pepper asked, looking at me with glassy eyes.

"Tony asked me to come find him. What's going on, what's wrong?" I asked, concern for my friend lacing my voice.

"Um," Pepper looked over at Tony, who just shrugged his shoulders. "It's nothing. I'll tell you later." She said, walking away afterward.

"What was that about?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed as I stared at where Pepper just left.

"Don't worry about it. It's just some... marital discussion." Tony seemed to cringe at his own words.

"Okay..." I trailed off. "So, why am I here?"

"You see that?" He pointed to a red metal suit.

"The giant eye soar in the middle of the room? Yeah, I see it."

"Haha very funny."

"Who said it was a joke," I smirked.

"Yeah, well it's what I wanted to talk about," Tony smirked back.

"Okay... what is it?"

"It's a gold-titanium alloy suit."

"I can see that, Tones, I mean why do you have it?"

"You've watched the news, right? Did you hear about what happened in Gulmira?"

"Yeah, something about something going in and killing a bunch of those terrorist guys that kidnapped you." I nodded.

"Yeah, well..." He trailed off as he walked over to the suit, knocking on it a couple of times.

"You didn't" I gasped.

"I did." He cringed a bit with a smirk.

"Oh my god, Tony! Why did you- how did you..." I trailed off, words failing me for a moment.

"That's what I wanted to talk about." He snapped his fingers at me. "I didn't mean to leave you on the balcony that night, Avery. I really didn't." Tony walked up to me.

"What does that have to do with this?" I closed my eyes and shook my head, not really wanting to think about the gala.

"When I was getting our drinks, a reporter, Chrissy something or other," He waved off. He never seemed to be too good with the names of people he didn't care about. "Came up to me. Started questioning me about Stark weapons being sold to the Ten Ring terrorist group. Had pictures and everything. When she told me that, I went to find Stane and ask him about it." He paced in front of me, looking up every once and a while.

"And what did he say"

"That we're dealing under the table. That he's the one who got me kicked out of my own company."

"Oh god, Tony."

"And I just, I just got so consumed in what was going on that I... that I forgot about you."

"Hey," I walked closer to the seemingly stressed man. "It's okay. You seem to have a really good reason why you had to leave. Now granted, I would have loved at least a text saying that something came up and you had to go, but I get it." I smirked, shrugging my shoulders.

"Pepper and I are going to get a divorce." Tony blurted out.

"What?" My eyes went wide at the confession.

"Things haven't been working out between us. We want different things. The only reason we're still together really is because of Morgan."

"When was this decided?"

"About two minutes before you walked through the door."

"That's why Pepper was upset." My face fell.

"Yeah. She doesn't like the idea of divorce, but she still agreed that it was the best for us." He nodded.

"What's going to happen with Morgan?"

"Um, split custody. I think we're going to try doing every other week with her, see how that goes." He shrugged.

"You think you'll be alright handling the little monster alone?"

"Oh, I won't be alone. Her Aunt Avee will be there to help." He smiled teasingly, putting his hands on my shoulders.

"Seriously?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"Yeah! It'll be great!" He shrugged off.

I rolled my eyes, and right as I was about to say something, my phone started to ring. I looked down, eyebrows going down in confusion as I saw it was Pepper calling.

"Hello?" I asked, glancing at Tony before taking a few steps away. I don't think I fully noticed how close the two of us had gotten until I did so.

"Avery! Thank god you answered, I need a bit of help over here."

"What? Pepper, what do you need help with?"

"Um, I need you to help me distract Obadiah for a moment. Tony asked me to get something from his office, but Stane won't move from the door so I can get in." I could practically hear her panicked voice.

"Okay, okay. Let me make a few calls so I don't go in empty-handed. I'll be over soon." I reassured her, hanging up the phone a moment later.

"What did Pepper need?"

"She needs a bit of help getting into your office for that thing you needed her to do," I said, turning back to Tony.

"And she couldn't call me for that? I could have it handled." I raised a brow at him, making Tony click his tongue and point at me. "Right, she probably doesn't want to talk to me at the moment. Got it." He nodded.

"I've got to go take care of this, but I'll see you later, okay?" I started walking away.

"Yeah, yeah. Hey!" I turned around, being careful of the glass that was around me.

"Be careful? Something's going on over there, and I'm trying to fix it. I don't need you getting hurt in the crossfires. I'm already iffy on Pepper going in."

"I'll be alright, Tones. I mean, what the worse that could happen? I lose my other leg?" I joked, though Tony didn't seem to find it as funny as I did.

"I'll try to be careful, okay." I sighed, reassuring him the best I could.

It's not like anything bad is going to happen, right?