Chapter 14: Under the starry sky

"Ash..."

...

...

...

"I'm coming for you."

Nemesis sheathed the katana back into its scabbard before walking towards the entrance. But he was taken aback as soon as he placed the fingers on the doorknob.

"No... I can't let anyone see me walking around the base during this hours..." The man roamed around his decorated room a few times thinking of a possible escape route that would cause the least attention. Losing in thoughts, he unconsciously headed to the window behind the Commander's desk. A mixture of red, green and white lights from the airbase's runway shined into the office through the glass opening, flashing a bit of its colors on the concrete wall.

 A mixture of red, green and white lights from the airbase's runway shined into the office through the glass opening, flashing a bit of its colors on the concrete wall

"Wait... the Abrams in the storage room!" An idea popped up in the
acting-commander's head as he unlocked the wooden catch and opened it wide, letting a cool breeze of salty air from the ocean touch his skin. Looking down below, he caught sight of a path naturally formed from his place to the airfield by the tree's density and solid soil. Nemesis then placed one of his feet on the window sill before grabbing the frame with his left hand to stabilize the body.

"Woah... It's actually quite high..." The man commented on the unforeseeable element of his equation to the airstrip. It's not like it would stop him from jumping down or anything...

*THUD*

Nemesis landed on the ground successfully by conducting a roll with his back to reduce the risk of causing undesirable sounds and injuries. He kept that same posture for a while to check if anyone noticed the sudden change in the trees, but there wasn't any.

"Phew... Let's head to that storage... She's waiting for me up there..." He stooped down and ran towards the field, using the bushes to his advantages. With the memories flooded back into his mind, he immediately knew where Ash wanted to meet him, even though she didn't even mention it once in the note.

A few minutes later, Nemesis reached the airstrip. This is probably the most well-guarded part of the whole base thanks to the presence of electric fences, concrete walls and fortified posts equipped with search lights. Can't blame them though, this place was keeping the most modern weapons ever created in this world. The Commander knew he could easily pass through the checkpoints since all the personnel on the base had been informed about their new leader but it would raise suspicion: Why would he go out just to check the area this late?

Therefore, he decided to take a detour to the side of the base instead. He hid in a bush for a second to memorize the search lights' patterns before carrying out his plan. Using the blind spots between the lights, Nemesis easily sneaked through and successfully approached the electric fences. Can't walk through it? Can't dig a hole below it? Can't climb on it? The solution was simple for the male.