Chapter 21 (Flashback 3): A hand to go, a heart to fall (Part 1)

He could still remember that special day, the 4th of February, 1958. Tension between the Oceanic Federation and the Revolutionary Front has increased significantly after the fall of the Axis Power in the Second World War. Citizens from all over the world lived in fear of a total nuclear annihilation that may land upon them on any day, at any moment. But that's the fear of people who had no knowledge about the truth behind the curtains. And for those who did, they worried about another matter. A matter that physics aren't applied to them, a matter that plants death everywhere it reaches.

Schicksal for the common folk was, is and will always be one of the most popular religious organizations to exist on Earth. They had branches spread like roots of an ancient tree, from North America to Asia, from the USSR to South Africa. But that's just a mask they chose to cover their true purpose as the world's most skilled and extraordinary anti-Honkai force, the first line of defense of the planet when the enemy arrives.

Have been fighting against the Honkai since the dawn of man, Schicksal knew multiple ways to take care of these threats without causing chaos among the general public. Some said that it's the United States who controlled the world while the other believed it's the Soviet Union who possessed such power. However, neither of these statements was true. By pulling the strings behind the superpowers, Schicksal could use their meaningless war to cover up the truth which was large-scale operations and crusades to eradicate humanity's common enemy.

But time was running out for them. Weapons developed by Schicksal using Honkai energy as its main source of power could only give humanity a temporary advantage before the Honkai caught up due to its nature of evolving parallel to civilization's technology. A new, powerful and pure source of energy was desperately needed to be discovered in order to break the millennial stalemate.

And it arrived, like a gift from the Lord above the heavens. This specific power source existed on Earth in the form of cubes that shone a magnificent azure color with golden tints adorning its center. Thanks to the size which was just a bit bigger than a 3x3 Rubik's cube, they're extremely easy to carry around without the need of heavy equipment. Schicksal studied them carefully before learning that they operated in the opposite way to Honkai energy. While Honkai seeks to corrupt its hosts through exploiting their dark side, these cubes use the wielder's positive emotions and memories to provide them power beyond imagination. That's why they were given the name "Wisdom Cubes".

Schicksal soon implemented the new technology into combat, from personal arms like rifles to heavy fighting vehicles such as planes and tanks. They've proven to be more deadly, more durable and reduce significantly the cost of human life than using the old method of fighting fire with fire. Expectedly, for the first time in history, Honkai beasts encounters around the world each month dropped down to a single-digit number.

But the top echelon understood that this was just the beginning. The Honkai would always return, more and more violent every time it got pushed out. So they turned their attention towards the sea, a vast battlefield that covered 70% of our planet but lacked preparation. Now the question is: "Which ships are going to be fused with the Wisdom cubes first?" Let's find out.

...

...

...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 4th of February, 1958.

Location: Area 51, Schicksal's largest top secret research facility in North America.

Time: 90 minutes before G hour.