Chapter 16: Cleveland's Coronation

The duel above the sky of Presidia had finally come to an end, witnessing the arrival of a new ruler on the throne. Bursting in flames of defeat, the VX-23 started to descend towards the ground below before exploding midair into millions of pieces, temporarily painting the atmosphere in an orange color of death and agony with its debris. During that short moment, the pilot of the F-14 fixed his gaze on the enemy he had just shot down through the cockpit glass of his metal bird with the transmitter inside blared up for the last time of the day:

...

"Monarch... when you hear the thunder..."

...

...

...

"When the storm... comes for you..."

...

...

"Remember me."

...

A few months after the Cascadian Conflict, Hitman Team returned to their usual schedule, accepting contracts from all over the world just like nothing had happened before. But this time, they flew sorties without their squadron leader, Hitman 1 and his WSO. Monarch managed to collect the cash and sent them to everyone in the group via a private account before cutting all connections and disappeared from the Earth's surface. His existence began to fade away in people's memories as doubts and rumors started to emerge from the dark...

Where had the King of Hell gone?

Did Crimson 1 actually die from a malfunction in the system of his aircraft rather than being shot down?

Was he even... real?

...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All aircrafts which had taken off from Azur Lane's Pacific base earlier then formed a large arrow formation in the sky with the bombers flying at the back of the configuration. This was the first time the Cleveland sisters took part in such a big division, giving them lots of excitement but also, questions.

"Commander Kevin, are you there?" The girl with blond hair and red eyes asked for his appearance through the airband.

"I'm on the Lancer. Is there any problem?" He answered with his left hand on the control stick while his right hand was placed on the panel that was used to control other drones.

"You said earlier that there'd be 42 jets participating in this rescue operation. But even if I count our AWACS I can see only 39, where're the last three?" This time it wasn't Cleveland but Montpelier who raised her curiosity.

"Yeah you're right... Sky Keeper can you check for us where are our last three members?" Kevin transferred the question to H. Yorktown, who by Kevin's request to change her codename in order not to create panic and confusion for the girls since their Yorktown was still in a coma.

"Right question for the right time, Heavy 1. Heading 2-1-0, three strikers approaching the formation at high speed." She announced the intel to every pilot within the flight group.

"210... Which is behind us?!" Denver directed her head to max left and stared at the back of her plane over the horizon. From there she could see three fighter jets bearing their signature symbols that she could recognize immediately after so many encounters in the past.

"It's them?!" Columbia's WSO shouted in disbelief as the F-22 with three strikes on its stabilizers separated from the 3-plane formation and flew parallel to her F-4.