Chapter 20

That night my dreams were plagued by the faces of the dead. The soldier that Drake had stabbed, all the men and women who attended that dreadful ball who were ruthlessly slaughtered before my eyes, and even poor Gwendlyn. I dreamed of their deaths all over again; the blood oozing out of the Soldier’s wound, the corpses in beautiful ball gowns with missing limbs, I even imagined how Gwendlyn was tortured. In my dream her dead eyes stared right through me with hatred.
“You.” She whispered with blood dripping out of her mouth

I choked back a sob “Gwendyln, I am sorr-“

“You are the reason I’m dead.” Her voice seethed with hatred.

“I-I’m s-s sorry Gwendyln.” I cried, the tears falling helplessly down my cheeks.

She completely ignored me and continued with her hurtful statements. “I was tortured because I of you. I begged to live at first, but your husband cut me up for hours. In the end I begged to die! All because of you!”

 She stalked closer to me, and up close I could see hundreds of both deep and shallow cuts that marked her arms and even her face. Her face was bruised almost beyond recognition, and I could just imagine the pain she went through before her death. I mutely stood there as she stood right in front of me. Her dark eyes stood out against her pale, bluish skin.

“You are why all of us are dead” all the other innocent people who had been killed suddenly appeared behind her, each holding the same hateful expression. “He will not stop with us. There will be more, more innocent lives shed because of you!”

She reached out for me, but before she could touch me I woke up.

My breathing was heavy, and my heart pumped furiously. The room was just beginning to be lit with the first rays of the morning sun. Drakes arm was wrapped tightly around my waist and my back was pressed against his chest. I laid there contemplating my dream , and with startling clarity, I realized that Gwendlyn was right. I am the reason why all those people are dead. If I hadn’t attended the ball and attracted the Dark Prince’s attraction, none of those countrymen and women would have been massacred. If I had not of befriended Gwendlyn and ran away with her, she would still be alive as my maid. If that guard had interrupted Drake when he was with anyone else,he would probably still be alive.

She is right about everything.

There is no doubt in my mind that more blood will be shed.

I laid there just thinking about this revelation until Drake shifter behind me. A couple seconds later his lips found my nape and traced patterns over it. I instinctually stiffened and he chuckled.

“I see you are already awake my love. I was just about to wake you. I want you Elizabeth.” He whispered huskily.

The next moment I was flipped onto my back with him hovering over me. He kissed my lips roughly and  kicked the blankets aside. Both of us were already naked , and his hand found my breast and kneaded it roughly. He pulled back to look down at my body with hunger. He pushed my legs apart and gasped. He stared down at the spot in between my legs with a confused expression until it slowly melted into one of fury.