Chapter 35

His outstretched hand gently took ahold of mine. His hand was rough, most likely from years of gripping a sword. When our skin touched a spark of electricity went through me. I glanced up from under my eyelashes at Xavier to see him staring intently at me. His baby blue eyes were beautiful, and I was instantly caught up in them. We didn’t release eye contact as he pulled me through the dance floor. The whole time I was wondering how on earth this handsome, kind man could be related to a monster like Drake.

Speak of the devil, I could feel someone’s eyes boring into my back as I put one hand on his shoulder. Sure enough when I glanced over my shoulder I could see Drake glowering at me from the edge of the dance floor. I gulped when his angry eyes swept over me before finally landing on the spot where my hand rested on Xavier’s shoulder.

Ignore him Elizabeth.

I turned back to Xavier only to see him staring over my shoulder gritting his teeth. I didn’t like how his beautiful eyes clouded over with anger. It didn’t fit him. He was the only kind person in this whole entire castle, and when his features turned angry he looked too much like Drake.

“Are you ok Xavier?” I ask

He looked back down at me and some of the rage dissipated.

“how do you live with him?”

I peered up at him confused.

“What?” I gasp

But before he could answer me the orchestra started back up again. And the melody of the soft music carried us along with the crowd in a graceful waltz. Under normal circumstances I would’ve stumbled all over my self-trying to keep up with him. The waltz was not my strong suit. But Xavier was a wonderful partner. He led me perfectly and we were exactly in sync. He never took his brooding eyes off me as we danced around the different couples. His light touch on my waist spurred heat through my body.

We danced for a couple minutes in silence before Xavier broke it.

“How bad is it Elizabeth?” his deep voice asked warily

I swallowed heavily, knowing what he was asking about but not wanting to speak of it. “H-how bad is what?”

He smiled grimly down at me. “You know what I mean Elizabeth. I know my brother. I know that he is a bad man, and I saw what he was doing to you in that bedroom when I first arrived.”

I closed my eyes as images of Drake whipping me crossed my mind. I could still feel the shackles around my wrist and the feeling of Drake straddling my backside as he…

I shook myself out of the memory of that monster raping me while I was tied down and defenseless.

Drake cupped my cheek and pulled my face so I was looking at him. “Drake claimed that it was your guys way of…mixing it up sexually. He tells me that you like it rough. But I caught a glimpse of your back.” His hand moved from my waist to stroke my back. I let out a gasp of pain as he rubbed against my wounds. “And I know that those wounds are not a result of you wanting to be whipped. I saw the look on your face. It was like you had given up on life.”