Chapter 38

As soon as the sound of Drake’s horse’s hooves disappeared we were left in silence. Xavier was standing behind me and I couldn’t find it in me to turn around. I knew he felt like a babysitter watching the king’s poor wife. He probably wished he could be doing something better with his time. For some reason I felt embarrassed and ashamed.

Xavier cleared his throat. I turn around ready to face an awkward situation but instead of a face full of irritation, Xavier actually looks happy. He is smiling warmly at me and I can’t help but to smile back. There is just something about this man that draws me closer to him. Maybe its because he is the one person that actually gives a damn about my well being.

“Would you like to finish your ride m’lady?”he says in a teasing tone.

I laugh at his use of vocabulary for me. “No need to call me m’lady kind sir, I am naught but a poor farmers daughter.”

He walks over to me with my mare in tow. “Oh really? Last I knew you were the Queen of this land.” He suddenly wraps his arms around my waist. I freeze and stare up at him wide eyed. The feel of his hands on my waist stirred something in me. We were so close that I could smell his mascualine scent and his soft breaths washed over my face. But before I could dwell on our closeness he lifted me up and placed me in my saddle.

I take a shaky breath and try to act normal. I don’t want to scare him off by making him think I am some crazy woman who can’t even handle being close to a man. “I am an unwilling Queen so therefore I do not deserve such a title my lord.”

His hand suddenly grabs onto my calf and once again my breath catches. “I’ll make you a deal. If you stop calling me My lord or sir and use my name, then I will call you by Elizabeth.”

Although my dress separates his hand from my bare skin I still feel the heat through the sopping wet fabric. All I can do is nod my head.

He gives my leg a squeeze then lets go. “Excellent Elizabeth. Now shall we?”

He hops on his horse that I just now noticed was standing there and we continue on the path.

“So what do you do for fun around here?”Xavier asks.

I quirk my brow at him. “fun?” I laugh at the word. “I don’t have time for fun around here. Half of my time is spent locked in my room or being nursed back to health due to injuries caused by your brother.”

I chuckle at that but Xavier doesn’t join in. I look over to see him frowning. I feel the tension rise and the awkwardness set in. It seems like every time I bring up the fact that Drake is abusive Xavier gets angry. I don’t want him to think any less of me just because I can’t fight back and am a helpless victim. I don’t want to feel like a charity case…

Xavier must of sense my thoughts because his next words shock me.

“It’s ok Elizabeth. I know he does horrible things to you, and I wish I could do something. I really do. But I cant, and that kills me knowing that he can just get away with treating you like this.” He shakes his head and he looks at me with a determined look. “But I don’t want to treat you differently. I want to be…friends.”