Chapter 4

The floor creaked as i gently laid my foot on it. My whole body tensed, and i glanced behind me to see if he was still sleeping. Luckily, he didn't stir from his deep sleep.

For the past hours, inch by inch i had lifted his arms and scooted across the bed. I didn't dare go too fast, in fear that he would wake up. Every time he would stir, i tensed up and held my breath. Luckily he was a deep sleeper and constantly snored. The room was still lit by the dim candles, and i could make out the bulky form of the Black Prince under the cover. I shuddered in disgust as i recalled his arms wrapped around my naked body.

I tip-toed across the room, and scooped up my dress. I can't be running around naked, afterall. I hastily and quietly put on my dress. When i finaly made it out the door i let out a sigh of relief. I stealthily creeped down the hallway till i reached the stairs.

Now all i have to do is somehow get Nelly out of the cage and disappear into the forest. He can't get me out there.

When i made it into the room with the cage i almost screamed. there lying in a chair was a guard. Fortunately he was sleeping, but i still had to put my hands around my mouth to keep the shreak down. He was sprawled across a chair with his mouth hanging open and deep loud snores leaked out his mouth.

I looked into the cage and found Nelly still form lying on the ground. She looked so helpless lying there, with blood on her once beautiful dress, scratches running up her arms, bruises on her face, and hair disrayed. I knew at the moment i would do anything to get her out of there Even if it meant dying myself.

i walked over to her."Nelly!" i whispered.

she jolted awake and looked around wildly. Her wide frightened eyes looked around the room for danger. She finally calmed down when her eyes rested on me, and then they widened in shock when she realized i was there. Her mouth opened forming words, but nothing came out.

I signaled for her to be quiet. "I'm going to get you out of here."

She nodded slowly I contemplated my next move, and realized that i needed to get some keys. and i looked around the room for some keys. I spotted them hanging on the wall next to the guard.

I hesitated before i walked over to him. "B-be careful!" Nelly whispered.

I nodded abstentmindedly. And reached over the guard for the keys. My face came within inches from his face. His stinky breath tickled my face, and i was amazed he didn't awaken from the noisy jingle the keys made. I looked down into his ugly face and felt complete hatred for him and his prince. what type of people would take innocent girls, and do such cruel things to them? Ecspecially the prince. He claims i'm perfect for him and that he's never felt this way about a women before, but his mind is so twisted with evil that he would force me to chose between the life of my friend and sexual favors to him. He did things to me that i had hoped would never happen until i was married, he made me feel dirty. I know if i stay he will take my innocence from me. Thats why we both need to escape. He won't be so nice to Nelly for long.

I unlocked the stupid cage and grabbed Nelly's arm and we both sprinted out of the room. the front porch was cast in shadows so we were hidden from the surrounding soldiers.

Outside there were small fires lighting the little village. Soldiers and guards were littered around the area. Tents were sent up and men were talking quietly to themselves. some were sitting by themselves looking off into the distance, obviously the designated lookout men. We snuck between houses and bushes.  We stuck to the shadows, and stayed low to the ground, all the while holding our breaths. A couple times we would be passed by a soldier, but they were to oblivioius to their surroundings to notice us two girls escaping.

We reached a part where there was an opening from the shadows, and we would have to sprint across a meadow into the forest about 100 meters away. I looked behind me and saw the groups of men in the distance. This was dangerous, if they looked over....we would be caught.  I squeezed Nelly's hand.

"Nelly, when i say go, run. run as fast as you can. We will have to get deep into the forest if we want to escape. Don't stop for anything. Nothing at all. Promise me this. Even if they get me i want you to keep running." i whisper feircely, using my eyes to tell her im serious. I stare into her brown eyes and try to compel her to listen.

"B-but....what about you?" she sobbed, with uncontrollable tears leaking down her face. "I can't just leave you to these monsters!"

I shake her shoulders gently "You can. And you will."

She stared at me for what felt like a long time. Just looking at me, knowing this may be thae last time we would see eachother. We had been best friends since we were children, and i couldn't imagine seperating. But i knew if either one of us had a chance to escape, we should take it.

Nelly realized this and slowly nodded. "Ok, Em." she said sadly.

I reach over to her and squeeze her tight in a hug.

"Alright....i hope to see you on the other side. Ready?" i asked ." Ok....go! run run run!" I whisper feircly.

We both jump up from our crouched postions and sprint the distance to the forest.  We both ran side by side, Pushing our bodies for all they are worth. We hit the tree line in seconds, and all i could hope for was that none of the guards saw our retreating figures. the trees started getting denser, and I could barely see the light from the fires when i glanced back behind me. A small feeling of hope started inside me, as we went deeper and deeper. We are going to make it. We are going to escape I chanted in my head.

Just as i thought this i heard shouts coming from  the distance.