Chapter 10

We walked for two days before we reached a village. We walked through the dense forests with only the small meal gwendlyn had packed to keep us going. Every hour i could feel myself getting weaker and weaker, but i knew that Drake was on our trails and wouldn't stop till he found me.

We slept on the cold forest floor in pitch blackness. I barely slept those two nights. Rustling in the nearby bushes filled the niosless night. I imagined a wolf would spring at any second with its deadly claws and teeth ready to sink into my flesh. But by the power of God we made it through two nights of tense waiting for the sun to rise and continue our journey.

We had no idea where the closest vilage was, we just had faith that iff we kept walking west we would stumble across a road. By the beginning of the second day we ran out of food and water. Our tired feet carried us forward, but our pace got increasingly slower and slower. My mouth was partched, my stomach was growling angrily, and my feet blistered.

We finally stumbled across a dirt road and followed it for hours until we reached a village. we had noo money, but we did steal jewels from his chest. We sold some at the nearest pawn shop and got a good deal of coins. The pawn dealer was so infatuated with the valuable rocks that he didnt even question the fact that two girls dressed as slaves had them.

I was sure by now Drake had found out i was missing. He was most likely furious, and i do not plan on facing his wrath.

Gwendlyn thought it was safer to keep walking then to stay at a local inn. We found out we were only twenty miles from the castle, and we had to keep moving. We got directions and were on our way.

instead of walking directly in the road we stayed in the trees just in case royal guards were out looking for us. Also we both had heard stories of what happens to girls travelling alone. We didnt want to stumble across a group of thugs that would attack us.

Now it had been a week since we escaped and we were getting closer to my village.

"How much farther till we reach your village?" Gwendlyn asked tiredly

I sighed "about twenty miles...we are going to have to stay in the next town we reach which is coming up in about two miles."

"Do you think it is safe enough to stay in the next village? Don't you think we shoul keep moving until we reach your village?" she asked worridly

"Gwendlyn, we are barely able to stand much less walk another twenty miles with out rest. we are 80 miles from the castle, Drake has no idea which way we headed, and he doesn't know where i lived at before he took me. I think its safe to spend the night at an inn and save strangth so we can walk the final miles tommorow."

she still looked a little skeptical abut grudgingly agreed.

when we reached to village it was night, and light filtered through the houses in the huts. It was a small village with no more than fifty houses.

The inn was located in the center of the town, and we gave the rest of our money to the old man behind the counter to get a room.

The room was small with only one bed and a measly washroom.

Gwendlyn stood tensly looking out the window while i got ready for bed. My hair, still colored with charcoal, was a rats nest. I couldnt even run my hand through the oily strands due to the tangles. I also still wore the same servants dress from when i escaped and probably smelled terrible.

"Come on Gwendlyn, get ready for bed." i said with a yawn.

She didnt respond, and instead just stood there staring out the window into the dark town. It was as if she was in some sort of trance.