Chapter 31

“Brother?” Drake gasped

I tried to crane my neck so I could see who was at the door, but could only get far enough to see Drake standing tensely. Was the fabled brother finally here? I had completely forgotten about the mysterious relative who was supposed to return home after years abroad, but unfortunate circumstances drew my attention away. I remembered how the late king praised and exulted his name, while Drake seethed in jealousy.

The new voice finally spoke up. “Hello Drake, it has been a while.” It was a nice deep voice, full of power and authority.

“It’s been 3 years.” Was Drake’s stony reply.

I could sense the thick tension radiating in the room. I desperately wanted to see the face of the man that Drake seemed to hold so much contempt for. But the damned chains! I held my breath as I waited to hear what happened next.

“Well yes, I suppose it has. How have you been Drake? I have missed my older brother.” I couldn’t tell if he was lying, or if he actually had missed Drake. I couldn’t imagine anyone actually wanting to be around him much less missing his company.

“I’m fine.” Drake said. No elaboration. No emotion. No reciprocating missing him. Nothing.

I could tell Drake was really annoyed with his brother. I had never heard him like this, so childish.

There was silence after his outright rudeness. The silence was excruciating, it seemed to go on forever. For a second I thought the brother had just decided to leave, but Drake asked a question.

“I thought you were not due for another two weeks?”

“I decided to surprise everyone and come home a little early. I came straight to your room to see you, my next stop is mother and father’s room. I’m sure father wants to hear all about my trip.” His deep voice said.

There was an awkward pause. He didn’t know that his father was dead? After Drake had stabbed his father to death, he just left the cold bloody body in the maze. While I was tied up in the bed, Drake had carried on life as usual, acting like nothing happened. When the notice went out that king was missing, the kingdom went into a panic. And Drake put his acting skills to the test and succeeded, no one even suspected that the hated son had any part in it. Then the body was finally found, and no one could argue against Drake taking the throne.

“Brother, I’m afraid I have some bad news that I must tell you….Father is dead. Someone murdered him a week ago. I am king now.” Drake said calmly. I could also detect a hint of warning in his voice. I knew if his brother tried to protest against Drake’s new title, then there would be a fight.

 “Oh.” The brother gasped. From surprise or grief I couldn’t tell. It was his father after all, maybe they had been close. Drake had after all told me that his brother was the favored son and was loved by the deceased king. “That’s….that’s…”

Before he could finished Drake rudely interrupted him. “Terrible news. Such a tragedy. Father had many years ahead of him…But I will not stop until the perpetrator is brought to justice.”