Chapter 18

"OH MY BABY!" My mother cried out as she caught sight of me through the cell's bars.

I sprinted to the cell and awkwardly hugged my mother through the bars. My father and brother jumped up from the ground and came to us and we all embraced with only the bars seperating us. I pullled back and looked into my families' faces. I was horrified at what i saw. Their faces were gaunt and pale. Dirt streaked over their faces and through their hair. They had fading bruises all over their bodies, and they were still wearing the clothes i last saw them in at the wedding. Dark bags were also under their eyes.

I looked inside their cell and was surprised to see how small the cell actually was. It was barely enough room for two people, much less three. There was a terrible odor emitting from it, probably from the chamber pot in the corner which had yet to be dumped. The only thing in the cell was some straw scattered on the ground, no be. They were being treated like prisoners of wars. These are my parents and brother! And the Black Prince has the nerve to treat them this way.

I turned to look at Drake who lingered behind. "Why must you treat them this way? They are not animals!" I yelled at him.

His face was blank and instead of answering me he turned and left with a passing "I'll leave you four alone."

I watched his back slowly retreat down the corridor and dissapear around a corridor.

My Father looked like he was about to shout something at Drake but my mom quickly hushed him looking frightened. We stood in tense silence as Drake's fottsteps faded away.

I was drawn back to focus when my mother gently took my hand in hers "My daughter, a-are you ok?" she asked.

I could tell in her voice and face that she was hoping i was. Hoping by some miracle that i had been treated ok by the prince. Hoping that her only daughter had not been forced. Just thinking about it brought tears to my eyes and i strangled back a sob.

Seeing the tears welling up in my eyes my mother started sobbing. "Oh my p-poor girl. My baby! He....h-he ..."

My father released a roar of anguish. "That bastard!" he yelled while gripping onto the bars.

"He forced you didn't he? I can see the bruises on you..." He reached out and pointed at my arm. I glanced down to see the outline of a hand. "He didn't just do it. He was rough wasn't he!"

My mother sobbed brokenly and fell to her knees.

I glanced at my brother to see him leaned heavily against the wall with his face in his hands. His shoulders silently shaking. I had never seen my thirrteen year old brother crying before and it broke my heart.

I suddenly felt a rush of guilt. "I-i'm sorry. I-i tried to s-stop him. I swear. H-he just-"

"It is NOT your fault. Don't ever think that. Don't you ever think this is your fault! It is that Monster's fault!" my father bursted.