Chapter 27

That night I slept the best I ever had since coming to the castle. I had no horrible dreams about people dying or any paranoia that something bad was waiting for me in the morning like I usually did. I didn’t are that I was still being held captive, I didn’t even care that I was wrapped up in Drake’s arms. Normally I would fall asleep feeling dirty and used, but that night it was different.

When I opened my eyes I found the bed empty. I looked to the side out the window to see the sun already at midday. How could I have slept that long? And where was Drake?    

I lazily rolled out of bed and walked into the closet looking for a clean dress to wear. As I exited in a pretty peach dress Drake suddenly bursted into the room. For a second pure panic raced through my veins before I realized that Drake was smiling.

What was going on? Why did he look so...excited?

He strolled over to me, smile still in place, and swooped me into his arms. He leaned down and gave me a big kiss on the lips. By now I was really confused. Never had Drake acted so normal. Like a real loving husband.

“I have a surprise for you my love” he whispered against my lips.

My eyebrows rose at that. Surprises from Drake usually meant trouble. “Oh really?”

“Yes, one you will definitely enjoy.” He said knowingly.

“OK…” I said uncertainly.

He pulled my over to the couch and gently pushed me down upon it. My mind was still trying to process what was going on. Was something terrible about to happen?

Drake smiled reassuringly at me and stroked my cheek. “Wait here, I will be right back with your surprise.”

I sat in anticipation as Drake rushed out of the room without another word. He was gone for what seemed like forever, but in reality was only a couple minutes before he peeped his head back in.

“Are you ready my love?” he asked excitedly.

I nodded slowly not taking my eyes off of Drake as he entered the room again. Behind him a soldier walked in with a sword attached to his hip. I stood up catiously when I saw the unfamiliar guard follow Drake in. Surely this couldn’t be good!

“Drake, what is going-“

Before I could finish three other people entered the room and I got tongue tied.

“OH Elizabeth! My baby!” my mother cried out before rushing past my brother and father and jumping into my unmoving arms.

My eyes had gone wide and my mind was racing. My family was here? I hadn’t seen them since Darke humiliated me in front of them. I couldn’t believe that Drake was actually allowing me to see them. Beore I could think more into it I was swarmed in a group hug with my father and brother too. They were all talking at once, telling me how much they’ve missed me. I was so overwhelmed with happiness that tears started leaking down my face as I cried onto my father’s shoulder.