Chapter 25

The room sat in shocked silence after the sudden outburst in Drake. It seemed like no one knew what to say so I just stared at my hands folded on the table. I was scared. I was scared to go back to the room to see Drake. I could just imagine how angry he was right now and I was afraid he would take it out on me. I couldn’t believe he had the gall to disrespect his father like that, even if his father was just as psychotic as Drake. I mean, he was the king!

As if his father realized the magnitude of what his son just did he burst out, “The nerve of that boy! I swear, if he wasn’t my son I would be sending him to the executioner right now. How dare he behave that way!”

I looked up to see the king’s face flushed red from anger. His eyes were blazing and he looked like he wanted to storm after Drake and punish him.

“Maybe his brother should take over the crown. He is only six years younger than him, and he is wise way beyond his years.” The king continued on as if mulling over the idea.

The Queen who was seated next to her husband put her hand on his arm. “My King, why don’t you discuss this later. We have a guest.”

The king glared at his wife and growled, “Don’t you dare tell me how I should act.” As if realizing the other half of her sentence he glanced over at me, suddenly remembering I was there. “but perhaps you are right.”

His beady eyes stared me down for a few seconds before he slowly stood up. He walked around the table and stopped behind my chair. I stayed perfectly still, but he placed his hands on my tense shoulders. His touch felt dirty against my skin, and the way he was touching me was more like a caress. I looked over at the Queen, but she was looking off in the distance, obviously trying to ignore her husband’s outright flirting.

“Why don’t I walk you back to your room Elizabeth?” he started to pull my chair out for me before I could voice my opinion.

I stood up cautiously and moved away from the king’s close body. “Uh I think I can manage getting back on my own Your Highness. I’m sure you are very busy.”

I started for the door but an iron grip closed around my bicep preventing me from leaving. “No need to worry. I am heading over to that side of the castle anyways.”

He started pulling me towards the door. And it looked like I would have no say in the matter. “Go back to our quarters now honey.” The king called over his shoulder to the Queen.

Before she could reply we were out the door and heading down the hallway. For a while we walked in silence, his hand still guiding me on my arm. I felt very uncomfortable being with the king. Everytime we were alone he would have something to say about my failure to get pregnant and his want for me. After a while it seemed like all the servants and maids had cleared out of the corridor and it was just the king and I.

“My son doesn’t deserve you , you know.” The king said out of no where

I didn’t know what to say so I remained silent. Of course he didn’t deserve me. He was an abusive husband who forced me into this. I deserve so much better than him.