Chapter 33: TYPE WILD

Chapter 33: Type Wild

"You're up, partner!" Ash called out.

The electric mouse jumped from his shoulder and went into his battle-ready position.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu squeaked enthusiastically.

The raven-haired boy had already decided who his first pokemon for the main event would be. And no one was surprised.

Instead, the audience cheered louder as they affirmed that it was the Pikachu who had gone through disadvantageous battles and came up on top.

The undefeatable Pikachu of the Preliminaries.

The crowd went wild. And so did certain individuals from Kalos.

"It's Pikachu!" Serena squealed in delight!

"We're in for a show now!" Calem grinned, excited upon seeing the yellow mouse that seemed to defy logic.

"The cutest and most dangerous pokemon I've ever seen," Trevor murmured in amazement.

The halls cheered once again upon Pikachu's appearance, eliciting a smile from the honey blonde.

Sycamore, although silently watching, was filled with excitement inside as he could not get enough of Ash's performance and kept wondering how the battle would turn out.

"Go, my steady!" Misty called out, summoning her pokemon.

Ash's grin then warped into a confused look upon seeing Misty's first selection.

A light blue salamander with two dots for eyes and a comically accurate depiction of a smile. All in all, a very awkward looking Pokémon.

"… Eh?" was all the boy could muster. He had never seen it before in Kanto.

"What is that?" Ash asked in confusion.

"Quagsire, you're up!" Misty said with Quagsire giving a confident fist pump to his Trainer.

Back in the glass spectator room, Blue vaguely recognized Quagsire from a book she once read.

"That's… a Johto pokemon, isn't it?" she asked Gary.

"Yeah," Gary answered.

"Urgh, don't tell me…" he grumbled.

All it took was one look at his rival's dumbstruck face and the emotional dam holding back his long sigh broke.

"That idiot has no idea what he's dealing with… Just look at him!" the orange-haired boy groaned louder.

The girls could only chuckle weakly at Gary's bashing towards Ash.

'Seriously, what is that thing? It looks so goofy,' Ash thought, confused out of his mind.

Unbeknownst to the raven-haired Trainer, he was the only one who did not recognize the pokemon.

'But since this is Misty, it's gotta be a Water type… right?'

Then a commanding tone shook his to attention.

"Pay attention! We're taking the lead!" Misty declared.

"[Water Pulse]!"

A pulsing jet of water came blasting towards Pikachu. However, the electric mouse elegantly dodged it in time.

"Alright! Looks like a Water type!" Ash stated, not knowing how wrong he was.

"Pikachu, [Thunderbolt]!" Ash called out.