Chapter 56: Divergence

Author's Notes (12)

.

Heyo! Back again with another chapter.

So, some things to note before you guys read this:

This was supposed to be a light-hearted chapter with little to no action. But then, I realized I could make this chapter waaaay more interesting than usual with some foreshadowing and rather confusing events in the latter half. With the chapter title and what happens near the end, you guess can probably start piecing that SOMETHING BIG is going on here.

So I went from a peaceful chapter to LORE chapter... Great.

With that, enjoy!

.............

Chapter 56: Divergence

"Giovanni's out…" Ash could hardly believe what he had heard.

'Oi, oi, oi! Isn't this bad?! That geezer's gonna come after me now!'

The raven-haired boy's paranoia was cranked to 11 as his leg shook violently as he was anticipating the crime boss to show up any second. Plus, he had the GS Ball to protect so that was an additional worry for the boy.

"Don't worry, Ash. Giovanni's under surveillance in his house and rather helpful with the police's investigation of the newly revived Team Rocket," Officer Jenny chuckled at Ash's anxious expression.

Ash blinked in response before letting out a wave of relief wash over him as Pikachu sighed on his lap.

"That's a relief… Wait, why's the geezer helping the good guys?" the raven-haired boy inquired as it made no sense.

"Unfortunately, I have no idea since I'm the only Officer Jenny staffed with protecting this reserve so I'm not as up to date as the others," the policewoman answered apologetically while rubbing her swelled foot.

Luckily, the Rocket trio provided the reason thanks to their blabbering mouths.

"As if da boss would work with Johto's Neo Rocket!" Meowth exclaimed angrily.

'Neo Rocket? Seriously?' Ash cocked a brow.

"Yeah! That Masked Man just returned out of nowhere and took control of the whole organization!" James provided with exasperation.

'Masked Man? That dude who created the GS Ball?!'

"But not us! We're loyal to Boss Giovanni!" Jessie proudly declared.

Ash gave a small 'Uh-huh' as he now knew the current situation. Apparently, his scuffle with Mewtwo drowned out the emergence of Neo Rocket in Johto and was only finding this out since news don't really travel as quickly in the Orange Islands. Feeling somewhat responsible for Neo Rocket's revival, the raven-haired boy prepared to leave first thing tomorrow, trying to complete his Orange League as soon as possible.

"Alright, that should en—"

Ash and Officer Jenny turned back to the trio, only to find a lasso cut cleanly by something sharp.

"Ahahaha! So long, twerp! We'll get your Pokémon next time!" a smug James cried out from a Meowth hot air balloon above them.

"…[Thunderbolt]," Ash deadpanned, unable to believe the trio would try escaping at this timing.

"PikaCHIIIIIIII!"

BOOM!

"We're blasting off againnnnnnnnn…!"