Chapter 42: CLASH OF ICE & FIRE

Chapter 42: Clash of Ice and Fire

Cameran Palace, Kanto Region.

A sword of rust cried out jovially. The letters on its blade pulsed with excitement, causing the Queen and the man clad in blue to look upon it with astonishment.

"Again…" Queen Ilene muttered in awe as the letters shone with dim but hypnotizing radiance.

"Sir Riley, what is happening to the sword?"

The man wore an expression of disbelief as his eyes flared steel blue.

"The sword… It should be impossible…"

"But the sword…"

Riley turned towards the screen and watched as Ash summoned Charizard into the fray.

"The sword is… rejoicing."
____________

Postwick Town, Galar Region.

"Hey, Leon. Come to think of it, that Mind's Eye only works for the Trainers, right?" Hop asked.

"Then how did Snorlax manage to follow through? Shouldn't there be a delay between the command and action?"

The Galar Champion's brother had stars for eyes as he waited for his older brother to explain.

"Well..." the man hummed before beginning.

"If what I remembered from Sonia was right, the delay caused by the time taken for the impulse to travel across the synapses of adjacent neurons in Pokémon is even shorter than that of humans," the man parroted his best friend's explanation.

"Think of it with animals. Their reflexes are already faster than humans so who's to say a Pokémon's reflex isn't superior to even that of the fastest animals?"

"Wow…" Hop nodded, still unclear about the explanation but he got the gist of it.

"You can remember all that, but you're still pants with directions," the younger sibling giggled.

His brother's arrow-like jab at his woes for directions pierced the Champion's heart.

"But that's Sonia sis' explanation, right? What about yours, Leon?" Hop asked again.

Recovering from his brother's jabs, Leon turned to the boy and smiled.

"Trust. The two trust each other so much that it's like they can read each other's minds. Kinda like me and Charizard," Leon answered sincerely.

"Trust, huh? That's awesome!"
___________________

Pokémon Academy, Kalos Region

Snorlax's amazing performance elicited a huge round of applause from both students and teachers alike. They may not had expected the round giant to take out one of the Elite Four's Pokémon, but they were nonetheless flabbergasted when that same Pokémon took on two Elite Four-tiered Pokémon singlehandedly and exiting the match with a literal bang.

"…I'm definitely catching a Snorlax once I'm starting my journey," Calem off handily commented.

"I can't believe that it managed to corner an Elite Four to this extent," Trevor said. The petite boy was now seeing the round giant in a different light.

"I wanna hug him!" Shauna squealed upon imagining Snorlax's fluffy fur.

Grace and Sycamore shared a look of concern as they gazed upon Ash's back. The red vest now sported a few lacerations and trembling cold ice between them. It did not help that the adults could not tell whether he was bleeding or not.