Chapter 37: MY ENEMY

Chapter 37: My Enemy

Kalos Region, Pokémon Academy

"This isn't looking good for that Green boy," Sycamore said aloud for everyone to hear.

"Why's that, Professor? That guy's winning by one Pokémon though," Shauna questioned curiously.

"Well then, Miss Shauna. As well as the rest of my students…" the young professor announced, gripping everybody's attention, including the teachers.

"Does anyone recall the rules set for the Grand League Battles?"

The Fifth Indigo Grand League, otherwise now called The Festival of Champions, had a different set of rules compared to the previous four.

The most significant one being the lack of restriction on how many moves a Pokémon could use. For the first time in the League's history, Trainers could finally go all-out in their battles.

"And then the basic 3v3 for the Round of 16 and Quarterfinals, then 6v6 for the Semifinals and Finals, right?" Calem answered without missing a beat.

"Très bien, Calem!" Sycamore praised.

"But what I mainly want to focus on is the first one, the most important one," Sycamore explained.

"If there are no restrictions on the number of a Pokémon's moves, would that not favour Miss Karen?"

Several murmurs of confusion could be heard from the crowd at the professor's question.

Then, a hand raised upwards to answer the question.

"Because she's a Dark type specialist," Serena answered.

"C'est exact, Serena," Sycamore congratulated, snapping his fingers at the honey blonde.

"Eh? Why?" Shauna once again asked her best friend, growing even more curious.

"Of all the Types in existence, The Dark types are the most difficult to deal with," the honey blonde explained.

"Most of their status moves rely on trickery and deception such as [Memento], which lowered Green's guard at the beginning only for it to bite him back later."

"On the other hand, most of their offensive moves like [Dark Pulse] have an additional effect of a chance to flinch the opponent."

"Meaning…?" Shauna questioned again, not knowing where her friend was getting at.

"4 Dark type moves could be seen as 8 moves if you count the additional effects. So, what happens if there's no limit?" Serena asked her again, conjuring a lightbulb on Shauna's head.

"Oh! Then that would mean…"

Sinnoh, Celestic Town.

"There's no way to strategize ahead with such a large pool of deceptive moves," Cynthia murmured to herself.

"You'd think they would have figured that out since a year ago when the Dark type was recognized as a Type," she sighed.

"Ehhh? But you could handle it Sis," her sister replied indifferently.

Instead, to her surprise, the older woman shook her head is disagreement.

"It would be tough, even for me. What's more, that Karen girl is still young. Who knows what kind of a monster she'll become in the future?" Cynthia observed.

"But…"

Her platinum gray eyes focused on the orange-haired boy and thinking of the raven-haired one.