Chapter 39: BLUE'S BATTLE

Chapter 39: Blue's Battle

Minutes before the conclusion of Gary's battle…

Ash got up from his seat and prepared to leave.

"Where are you going, Red?" Blue asked aloud to catch his retreating figure.

"…To see Green," Ash replied, turning towards her for his answer.

He had noticed Gary's shift in character during the battle. The moment their eyes met.

His red eyes were beginning to see even more after being able to perceive Umbreon's AURA.

'Is it just me or is there something around that guy?'

Within that fleeting moment of locking eyes, Ash sensed his rival's inner turmoil.

Anger. Grief. Annoyance. Sorrow. Rage.

All those emotions swirled inside him like a whirlpool.

'I dunno what is this 'weird thing' is, but it's never wrong,' Ash pondered in his mind as he recounted every single instance that he used said 'weird thing'.

"Wait! I'll come with you," Blue insisted, getting up from her seat with Espeon in tow.

As they passed every Trainer in the room, Misty kept glancing at the two.

Kalos Region, Pokémon Academy.

{ LOSING MY FRIEND MADE ME REALIZE SOMETHING. }

{ FRIENDSHIP. SENTIMENTS. EMOTIONS. CAMARADERIE. }

{ MOVES. ABILITIES. TACTICS. TIMINGS. }

{ EACH ONE IS A PIECE THAT HAS EQUAL VALUE IN OBTAINING VICTORY. }

{ IN OTHER WORDS, THEY'RE TOOLS. THEY EXIST TO HELP ME WIN. }

{ BUT A PERSON WHO IS SWAYED BY SENTIMENTS FOR THEIR POKÉMON CANNOT MOVE FORWARD TO VICTORY. }

{ JUST LIKE YOU. }

Serena and her friends were in disbelief at Gary's words.

The students who had yet to become Pokémon Trainers themselves were beginning to ask themselves a question they would have never thought of before:

'Is the overwhelming pain of losing your Pokémon, a dearest friend, even worth going on an adventure at all?'

That question plagued their minds as they watched the victor's lifeless expression despite winning.

"A person who is swayed by sentiments for their Pokémon cannot win, huh? I hate to admit it but he's kinda right…" Calem sighed in defeat as the orange-haired boy had the skills to back up his claims.

As much as the black-haired boy wanted to refute that claim, the results spoke for themselves.

"He did win after all…" Trevor responded weakly as the boy was now debating whether to treat his future Pokémon the same way if he ever wanted a shot in the Kalos League.

"Each one of them really ticks me off…" Tierno grumbled under his breath, not buying whatever Gary was selling.

Serena then felt a tug of her school uniform's sleeve. The honey blonde's friend was visibly dejected at Gary's words.

"…Do you think he's right, Serena?" Shauna asked.

"No way in hell."