Chapter 18: To Calm Stasis

Aeri anxiously waited for her private lessons with Palani, she had previously trained under Grougaloragran but even he had had a hard time trying to teach her use of Stasis. Wakfu was the complete opposite of it, so trying to teach Stasis was like putting oil in fire. It could easily go wrong. He had so far only thought about inhibiting that power, by telling Aeri some helpful exercises in keeping her mind calm and steady. She had never actually learned to harness it even after all these years. Her brother was the same as they shared that power. Neither knew the full extent of their powers, and they had hoped to get some guidance on it. Maybe now they'd finally get it. Starting with Aeri. Palani opened the door with a smile, inviting Aeri in to her room. It had a somewhat earthly scent of wood, trees and some plants were used as decorations. The room had big windows letting the Sun come in as much a possible. Palani sat on a pillow on the floor, Aeri sat down opposite  her, crossing her legs. ;"I was hoping you might be able to help me with Mt erhm.. problem?" Aeri started. Palani listened patiently. "I have this power which manifests when I'm mad or incredibly upset about something, and I can't control it. It's destructive and really powerful.. I'm afraid I'll hurt someone if this keeps up." She explained worriedly, holding her head. Palani thought about it for a moment.  ;"The power of Stasis I presume?" She asked her. She nodded. "It's a tricky power to have, and to fully control one, well, that's a completely different matter entirely." She explained, placing her hands in her lap. ;"So.. Can you help me?" Aeri asked hesitantly. Palani didn't exactly say a yes or a no. ;"I can only help controlling it, not how to harness it I'm afraid. I've never had to work with a power like that, and I'm afraid I'm not exactly the type of person to help in fighting. I'm more of a defender." She explained. Aeri seemed disheartened. Yet again there was no one who'd teach her in actually USING her power. "But I'll do what I can." She said placing her hand in Aeri's, giving a reassuring look. Aeri doubted it would help much but decided to go with it still.

;"Now first I need you to be completely relaxed." Palani said. Aeri nodded. "I'm sorry to ask this but can you take off your hat?" She asked pointing at it. It was a sore spot for her, while she couldn't remember EVERYTHING, she could easily recall all the ridicule she had gotten from her wings over the years. ;"I can try." She said quietly, looking at the ground, she slowly lifted her hat, letting her red Stasis wings out. They spread neatly to the sides, but still had that signature devilish look about them. Aeri felt stupid for getting worked up over such a tiny thing, but also couldn't help it. Palani took a good long hard look at the wings, giving them a slight touch, they were very sensitive. She saw her uneasiness. ;"They're beautiful." Palani said. Aeri blushed a little, no one had said something like that except for few people her brother and.. someone from her past. "Now I want you to imagine a place where you can be fully relaxed in your mind." She continued. Aeri did as told and imagined a beautiful vast field, she laid on the ground of it, looking at the sky, completely at peace. "And now, while keeping that place in mind I'm going to ask you to think of something uncomfortable. Then returning to that happy place. Can you do that?" She instructed her. Aeri nodded. She thought of the times others had insulted her because of her uniqueness, because she wasn't like others. Tiny red marks appeared on her skin. She started to remember... something bad. The skies were darknened, a metallic sound whirred in the air, something big was coming closer. ;"Aeri?" Palani asked her. Cold sweat fell down her forehead as she stayed in that memory. Screams could be heard everywhere, there was so much smoke in the air. Someone called for her name, but she couldn't quite see who it was or where the voice was coming from. "Aeri!?" Palani yelled, desperately. She grabbed her shoulders, shaking her a little. "Please wake up!" She yelled. Shiro heard the commotion outside the room, kicking tye door in he entered. ;"What's wrong??" He asked. Palani gestured at Aeri. ;"She can't hear me, and won't wake up from her trance." She said. Shiro saw the Red markings on her skin spread. ;"This is bad. Aeri! Sis! Wake up!" He yelled. Aeri remembered how people were running to every direction trying to get away, she remembered the giant black being. Her breathing became heavy and ragged. The markings were now around her arms as well. Shiro was panicking, Palani was worried. Not knowing anything else to do, Shiro hugged her sister. At first it seemed to have no effect, but then her breathing slowed down. Steadied, and the markings disappeared a little. Aeri remembered all the good times she had had with her brother, with other Eliatropes, with her family. She remembered the beautifully colored skies, the vast oceans, the giant fields of flowers. She could almost remember THEM. A single tear formed from her eye and down her cheek. She was smiling. Shiro finally let go when the markings and little bursts of energy stopped from around her. ;"W-what happened?" She asked. Palani looked relieved. ;"You went in a trance and we couldn't get you to wake up, it was only after your brother came in did you finally calm down." She explained. Aeri looked extremely sorry and embarrassed. ;"Oh, I'm so sorry. I- I didn't break anything did I?" She asked. Palani shook her head. ;"Don't worry, everything is alright, though next time, we're having your brother with you during private lessons okay?" She said. Aeri nodded. While she was glad she was able to return to normal, she was embarrassed that it wasn't with her own strength. Once again she had to rely on her brother. Which she didn't mind, but she wanted to things By herself without having to rely on others for help. She made a mental note of Palani's happy place training, and decided to try that for herself.

While everyone slept, Aeri got to work. She sat down, legs crossed, imagining her happy place. This time she was at a library, a big beautiful, silent library full of all sorts of books on topics she knew and those she didn't quite yet understand. She was at peace, and she wasn't alone, someone was with her, it wasn't her brother. It was another Eliatrope! A man, with glasses, and a friendly smiling face. When he read he sometimes stroked his beard instinctively. Aeri felt like she knew him very well, but couldn't quite remember what he looked like, nor his name. She tried to remember something, an argument with someone, a smaller man, with a cane, what they were fighting about she couldn't remember but she could feel the uncomfortableness of the situation. Small markings appeared on her cheeks, letting out bursts of energy. She remember being separated from the former man from the library and crying hard about it, why? She couldn't recall. But she felt the sadness. More markings began to appear. She remembered a presence, of something or someone.. bad. Very bad. The feeling of helplessness, and panic growing inside her. Even if it was only for a moment. Sparks started to fly from the markings on her skin. She tried to calm down by thinking about happy stuff. Her first hat, the first race she'd ever won, her family. Her brother and all his great jokes, the markings started to disappear one by one slowly but surely. ;"Hey sis!" She heard someone say. She was startled by this and accidentally sent out some burst of Stasis energy. Breaking a flower pot in their room. The flower died instantly. ;"Um... Maybe we DON'T tell Palani, that just happened?" Aeri asked her brother who concured.