Eight (Part 1)

"That's what I don't get. It's supposed to be y'all job."

Nico woke to the sound of Carter's voice, a tone very different than any one she was used to. He sounded upset, and he didn't need to raise his voice for that to be conveyed.

"Where is she now?"

Nico sat up in the bed, pulling the white sheet closer to her chest as she watched Carter from the corner of the bed. His back was to her, and he didn't seem to notice the shifting in the bed behind him, and if he had, he wasn't too bothered that he woke Nico up.

She yawned and glanced over at her bedside clock to see it read 8:14.

"Alright. Yeah, man. Whatever. I'll be by... just don't, don't even worry about it. I'll be there soon."

He tossed his phone beside him onto the bed and rested his head in the palm of his hands.

"Everything okay?" Nico asked before clearing her throat.

Her voice didn't startle him. Carter just ran his hands down his head and face, and then turned to look at her over his shoulder.

"Sorry I woke you," he offered instead, not in the mood to answer that question with a lie. Everything wasn't okay.

"You didn't wake me. It was the other guy screaming at 8 in the morning..."

"I was screaming? Shit. My bad," he said, not having realized.

"You weren't, I'm only kidding," she giggled as she adjusted the sheet against her naked body. "You did sound upset, though."

Carter blew out a breath and shook his head. He didn't want to divulge. Instead, he focused on the other issue at the forefront of his mind. "One of the condoms broke last night. I saw it this morning."

He didn't notice it last night, as he couldn't find the light switch and tossed it into the trash in the darkness. In the morning though, he saw the remnants of their night leaking through and covering the small garbage can.

Surprisingly, Nico wasn't as rattled as he was.

She brought her lip between her teeth and after a minute of silently going through her own thoughts, she spoke, "Well, I was tested last month and I'm all clean." Her eyes landed on him and she waited for him to utter the same.

"I got tested a few weeks ago," Carter said and left it at that.

Nico raised her brow as the panic set in. "And...?!"

"Clean," he chuckled.

She felt the relief wash over her.

"Then we have nothing to worry about," she announced, throwing the sheet from her body and standing up.

Nico raised her arms high and stretched her naked body out. In the sunlight, she looked more amazing and she was more than comfortable with how her body looked, so she didn't mind the sun's glare outlining every piece of flesh.

"Nothing to worry about?" Carter repeated as he watched her pick up his black shirt that had been tossed aside last night and pull it over her body. "STDs are more important to worry bout than a baby?"

"Well, yeah." She grabbed a pair of panties from her drawer and pulled them over her bare legs. "Some STDs last for life. Some STDs kill."

"Babies don't last for life?"

"Not in this womb they don't."

Carter couldn't help but chuckle. "I'll be outta here soon but I'll swing by the CVS and get you the pill."