Fourteen (Part 1)

Wednesday was truly hump day.

The day dragged on longer than needed, and much of it in pain, as Nico was on the first day of her period and the cramps were beating her ass. She unfortunately couldn't spend the day at home as she had to be in the office where time ticked by the second. And when Nico finally felt like the day had ended, she looked at the clock to see it was only 3 PM.

Two hours left.

She hated office days where she was confined in and had to complete paperwork. She much preferred meeting her clients out in the city and finding new places to have coffee. In truth, most of her work included being out and checking things out, it was only the one or two days of the week where she had to stay in the office that she hated her job.

That was just the usual office days, but she was much more miserable from the pain she was in. She spent most of her time curled into a ball on the couch in her office in between scheduling meetings with her clients for the week or calling different leasing companies to check out some spaces.

Val, the secretary, popped in a few times to offer her an Advil and insist she go home and that she would handle Brian's yelling about no one being in the office, but Nico declined.

It was nearly 4 at that point, and she would be home soon anyways.

Nico was terrified when she heard the elevator ding on their floor, seeing as Brian wasn't in the office so any new or potential clients would come her way, and she wasn't in the mood to be a hospitable agent. She glanced up through the glass door and smiled when she saw it was only a delivery man, based on the hat and attire he wore.

She crawled to the couch again with some paperwork that would take her into 5 o'clock and groaned as she held her stomach.

She sluggishly signed a few more pages and the distraction at her door via a knock immediately pulled her attention away from her pain.

"Special delivery for one Nicolette Waters," Valerie sang as she entered the office while holding a bouquet of roses in her arms.

There had to be at least 50 of them and they practically swallowed Val's short frame.

"Oh wow," Nico said, surprise in her tone as she stood up.

"I thought you broke it off with Gabe," Val said, as he was the only culprit sending deliveries to their office, outside of Amazon.

"We didn't break it off.. we're just taking some time apart," She reached for the flowers as the smile threatened to break her face.

They were a lot and they were beautiful.

"Guess he wants that time apart to end," Val commented as she plucked the note from atop it. "And they came at such a perfect time."

She read it and cooed before turning it to Nico.

Miss you.

"How sweet is he?!"

Nico smiled softly before taking the card into her hand before returning to her desk.

It was extremely sweet.

Val left and shut the door, leaving Nico to stare at the large bouquet. After a moment, she placed the flowers down and took a picture, and then scrolled through her texts to find the text thread with Gabriel.

Thank you, they're beautiful.

She sent the photo to him and sighed as she rubbed the card between her fingers.

She debated on returning the sentiment on the card, but she wasn't sure she wanted to tell a lie. Of course she enjoyed spending time with Gabriel, but she wasn't sure she had an ache or a need to see him again or in a romantic capacity. Sure, he was a fun dating partner, but she was certain with the time away that she didn't like him the way she originally thought she did, much to Jada's 'I-told-you-so'.