Nine (Part 2)

Time wound down quicker than she would have liked, and before she knew it, Gabriel was giving her a kiss on the cheek and leaving into his car to head back to work. Nico sighed as she waved goodbye to the disappearing car, and she felt her body that was previously floated into the air come back down to Earth.

She glanced at the time on her watch to see it say 12:56.

Nico turned and headed towards where she was supposed to meet her client, which was only about a five minute walk. Once she reached the property, she entered with the key the leasing office had given her, and began to set up all the things she'd need to have Carter sign.

She was flipping through files on her tablet when the door swung open a few minutes later. She turned to see two tall figures entering the space, and it took her eyes a second to adjust to their figures as as the sun was shining in behind them.

"What's going on?" Carter broke the silence as he moved towards where the counter area was, and close behind him was an older gentleman that surveyed the space with his eyes.

Nico's back immediately straightened when his gaze fell on her as they walked towards her.

"This is my dad, Dale. Dad, this is Nico," Carter said.

"–Lette. Nicolette," she corrected, as she never went by Nico professionally. She couldn't even look at Carter because she was so intimidated by the figure next to him. "Nice to meet you," she said in a small voice, then cleared the shyness from her throat.

She shook his hand and felt even smaller than she previously had. Though her heels gave her the height to be close to their eye level, her hand in his made her shrink. His hair was immaculately cut, he wore a black suit that looked like it was fresh from the dry cleaner, and for however old he might have been, he didn't look it at all.

"Nice to meet you too, Nicolette."

Even the way he spoke sounded so refined, and his voice was equally rich as it was deep.

He let go of her hand and looked at her with patient eyes, and Nico felt flustered.

She had closed on hundreds of properties, enough to get her speech and formalities down to the tee, but she now felt like her brain had been wiped.

In front of her was Dale Simmons, thee criminal defense attorney.

"I have everything here, and the– the," she stumbled over her words as she reached for her tablet. When her gaze met Carter's he had an equally patient look to his eyes, and the uncanny resemblance to his father freaked her out. She took a deep breath. "The inspector's report from the weekend is also here if you wanted to give that a read... everything looks good outside of the bathroom faucet that may need to be replaced."

Dale walked around the space, inspecting it on his own.

"Everything else checked out?" Carter asked, and she had finally gotten a good look at him to appreciate what he wore– black dress shirt that covered most of his tattoos, black slacks up on his hips and black dress shoes to top it all off.

She wondered what the occasion was for.

Nico rounded the counter to hand over the tablet for him to read. "Everything else checked out," she echoed.

As she stood next to him, a million different thoughts crossed her mind. She wanted to tell Carter he smelled incredible, and she wanted to ask what had him busy because part of his eyes looked troubled, and she hated that she had been looking forward to today since Saturday morning when he left her apartment to see him again, even if the pretense was work. She wanted to say so much but she didn't, instead she rested her manicured hand on the counter as she leaned on it and followed along to make sure he was signing at the right spots.