Ten

"How the fuck did this nigga not only get you to cancel on me, but you over here cooking for him too??"

Nico silently grated the Pecorino Romano. She had nothing to say for herself to justify her actions.

"I thought you don't cook for men.. hm?" Jada asked as she popped another grape into her mouth.

"Okay but did I tell you I met his dad?" Nico pivoted and then wiggled her brows at her friend. "He looked even better in person.. salt and pepper hair and everything.. just as hell, you don't even know..."

Jada just shook her head. "You know I'm disappointed for real because that doesn't move me in the slightest."

"Come on," She whined. "What happened to women supporting women?"

"This isn't supporting women.. look at the way you're grating that cheese.. it's supporting foolery."

"What happened to women supporting women and their foolery?" Nico asked next with a playful smile, knowing that wouldn't go over well with her friend.

Jada scoffed. "Boo, you whore. You're whipped."

"I absolutely am not. It's just carbonara and salmon.. I make it all the time," Nico replied as she moved the grated pecorino to the side. She flipped the cheese grater over and used the other side to grate the Parmesan. "And if you're just gonna sit there, be of no help, and eat all the fruits in my fridge, the least you could do is leave out the unnecessary commentary.. that would be lovely."

"You expect my help after you cancelled our movie date for a man? You expect my silence as you slave over the stove for a man? I have a Netflix show that needs binging, meanwhile you've set our gender back 500 years."

Nico smirked. "And I'll set it back another 500 more when I fix his plate for him.. pour his drink for him... ask him how his day was.. rub his feet..." Nico snickered as Jada began to fling grape after grape at her with each thing she listed, until Jada ran out of grapes to throw.

"To think this morning you were simping over Gabriel and now it's Carter..."

"And tomorrow it may just be Gabriel again... I'm compartmentalizing my dating life... and it feels amazing," she admitted. She didn't feel boxed up, or like she could only like one person or only spend time with one person. Nico reached for the herbs and began to chop them up. "Now, pick up all these grapes before he gets here."

"Yes ma'am," Jada chuckled.

Nico's phone rang on the counter, and since Jada was closer, she picked it up and smiled at the name.

"Yes it is me, Jada Green, your honorary daughter speaking..." she said as she hit speaker, and Nico heard her mother's hearty laugh vibrate through her kitchen.

"Oh Jada honey.. how have you been? It's been too long.."

"I'm okay.. just hanging here with your hooligan daughter."

"Hi mama," Nico called from across the kitchen. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, sweetheart. Sorry I missed your call, I was in my yoga class."

"Ma, I was calling to ask.. which spice was it that you used in the carbonara?"

"Spice in the carbonara?"

"Yeah.. that one day.."

A few weeks ago at their biweekly Sunday dinner, her mother made carbonara, which Nico was used to, but that time there was a pinch of something that had Nico going back for seconds and thirds. Her mother mentioned adding a sprinkle of something to the carbonara but it went in one ear and out the other as she forked out her third plate.