Sixty-two (Part 3)

Friday

Nico took the waffle off the maker, playing hot potato with it with her fingers, thinking it wouldn't be that hot but she was wrong.

"Oopsie!" Zay exclaimed as he watched her try toss it into the air higher to try to grab it before it inevitably feel to the ground.

Nico looked at him with sad eyes.

"Oopsie," she repeated, picking the waffle off the ground and tossing it onto the counter and pouting softly. "There goes your breakfast..."

She only prepared a small amount for him, as the waffles he ate had different ingredients.

Xavier leaned over to see how much batter was left and then smiled at her. "It's okay, Mommy. We can make another!" He told her, reaching for the ladle.

"You're absolutely right," she told him, helping him scoop up some of the waffle batter and then pour it onto the hot machine. "You wanna make it even or else your waffle will have holes," she told him, making circular motions over the press to cover every inch.

When she thought it was enough, she looked at Xavier.

"What do you think? Is that enough?" She asked him.

"Mmm.... no!" He said, pouring the rest of the batter in the ladle onto the machine.

She giggled, stopping him when it was actually enough. "Okay not too much... or it won't cook properly.. now what toppings do you want?" She asked, pointing between the blueberries and the chocolate chips.

He pointed to the chocolate chips.

"Scoop some out and put them on then."

He did just that, placing five or six chocolate chips meticulously in a pattern.

"Now close it.."

He shut the machine, watching as some of the batter poured out from the sides.

Zay looked at her with a guilty smile. "Oopsie!" He said.

"Oopsie!" She repeated again, picking him up off the counter and placing him on her hip.

Nico walked over the stove, grabbing a waffle from the stack she prepared for herself and her sister, biting into it.

"Can I try?" Zay asked, and she offered him a bite.

He made a face, because it had more sugar than he was used to, and he wasn't a fan of sugar.

His waffles were made of bananas and oats, as Nico was very particular about the things he was allowed to eat. And since he had been eating this way since he first started solids, his taste buds were used to very little sugar in things.

"You don't like it?" Nico laughed.

"Mnm," he shook his head. "Too sugarrryyyy!"

"Sugar isn't bad," Gianna said from the table, where she was reading her book.

She reached over and poured more syrup onto her waffles.

"Sugar is great for your mind."

Zay looked away from her to look at Nico, wondering if she was telling the truth.

"Lies," Nico whispered to him, making him giggle.

Footsteps coming down the stairs made them all turn towards the staircase.

"Goooooood mooorrrrninngggg," Carter sang as he skipped down.

Gianna was biting absently on her fork as she read her book, and then paused to give him a dirty look.