Forty-two (Part 1)

Nico's eyes fluttered open to the early morning light pouring in through her bedroom window. It was a Wednesday morning, and she wouldn't be going into the office, so she cursed the Nico of the day for being an idiot and not shutting the curtains so she could sleep in.

Now she was awake earlier than she wanted to be.

She moaned softly as she rolled over to find Carter was already awake beside her. He was sat up slightly against the headboard and a pillow propped beneath his back as he looked at something on his phone.

Her stirring made him glance towards her, and he smiled at the way she struggled to keep her eyes open as she tried to look at him. Her eyes kept shutting despite her best efforts and she reached her fist up to rub them slightly.

She was adorable.

"Morning baby.." Carter said before looking to his phone again.

"Morning.." Nico muttered as she sniffled, getting rid of the blocked nose sleep brought her.

She shifted closer to him and brought her lips to his shoulder to kiss gently and glanced at his phone.

He was on some furniture website.

"Why are you looking at bed frames?" Nico muttered against the skin of his shoulder.

"I'm tryna find one like the one you got so I can get you a new one."

Nico raised her brow as she rested her head on his shoulder. Carter stopped scrolling and paused at one that had a similar headboard to her current bed frame, but it wasn't the exact same shade of beige, so he continued scrolling.

"And remind me what's the issue with my current bed frame?"

Carter slowly turned to look at her with a blank stare that she giggled at.

"It's not small," she answered her own question.

"It is. That's why I'm up at seven in the morning looking for a new one. I almost broke my neck, Nico.."

She let out a loud cackle that he shook his head at.

"You're so dramatic."

Of course he was referring the crazy ass position Nico wanted to try last night, that included contorting in ways he didn't even think made sense, and especially not on her small ass bed.

He smiled. "You need a bigger bed. Don't worry, I'll get same day delivery and set it all up before you get back tonight. I just need to find this damn bed.." he muttered, getting frustrated as he felt he'd seen a million variations of Nico's bed frame but never the exact one, and she would flip of her 'aesthetic' was disrupted.

Nico reached for his phone and shut it off. "You can't find it because this bed was one-of-a-kind. The store shut down. The wood isn't made anymore. The materials are extinct."

"Quit playing."

She laughed. "I'm serious too. I already told you a bigger bed won't fit in my room... look around," she gestured towards how little space existed around her bed.

There was a sliver of space between the foot of her bed and the dresser and maybe two feet between her nightstand and her bathroom door.

Carter followed her gaze around the room, and it was finally clicking to him maybe a queen sized bed would be too tight.

"So let's get you a bigger apartment," he suggested instead.

Nico almost scoffed before she thought of something and smiled.

"I have a better solution," she said.

He raised a brow.

"How about you..."