Thirty-three

"Why are you so far away?"

Nico fell out of her trance and her gaze landed on Marcus standing in the middle of the empty kitchen.

"I'm not far away."

"You are," he said, opening and closing a few cabinets. He was testing to see if the hinges closed softly, and they did. He turned around then and smiled. "Tell me about the finishes."

Nico glanced around the room. "Well, countertops are all granite so you won't have to worry about staining. Built in appliances with great energy saving costs... contemporary interior trim, modern glass tile backsplash... it's what you would expect in your customary new build."

"If it's customary, what makes this one special?"

This was the third, and last apartment they were visiting today, and to be quite honest, it was her favorite.

She shrugged her shoulders. "In unit washer and dryer is a bonus, there's a rooftop lounge where you can entertain, a spacious balcony, a concierge... the location is fantastic, there's never much traffic and you're always 5 minutes from wherever you need to be. It's great... in my opinion," she added.

He nodded as he ventured towards a door and opened if, revealing the laundry unit she was talking about.

"What about the neighborhood?"

"What about it?"

"Tell me about it."

She was convinced he was in love with the sound of her voice, because he couldn't let a minute pass without prompting her to speak. Usually she was more chatty with clients, gushing about properties and features but she found herself wanting to be guarded for some reason.

Perhaps because of the way he was looking at her.

"What's there to tell? Neighborhood is mostly young professionals. Great bars and restaurants in the area. Some running areas as well. Not too far away there are some decent schools if you're looking to start a family, that way you won't have to move."

"I see.." he muttered as he disappeared into the back of the apartment.

Nico's heels clicked quietly behind him.

"Spacious," he muttered as he stood in the middle of the master bedroom. "And plenty of windows."

"Great view too," she added from the door.

He glanced over his shoulder at her and laughed at how far away she was. "I don't bite."

"Excuse me?"

"You've been standing four feet away from me all day. I don't bite. Or are you trying to keep social distancing alive?" He raised a playful brow.

Nico chuckled and took one small step forward. "I wanna let you form your own opinions of the space."

"A king would fit in here, don't you think?" He gestured with his hands.

Nico shrugged. "Yeah but it'll probably feel crampy. What's wrong with a queen?"

"Nothing's wrong with a queen. I want a lot of space is all. I'm used to sleeping in hotel rooms, I want to bring that comfort to the place I purchase. Plus, I plan to marry in the next two to three years so I'll need even more space than I'm used to." Marcus turned to her then. "Your bed was a.. a queen, right?"

Nico said nothing, except sent a warning look his way.

He had been professional thus far, as per his promise, so she was nipping any idea he had to change that in the bud. She wouldn't even let him start.