Forty-nine (Part 1)

"How do I look?" Nico asked, stepping out from the bathroom.

She did a little twirl that Carter didn't even glance at.

"You look beautiful," he said, laying on the bed and staring up at the ceiling.

She kissed her teeth, resting a hand on her hip. "You're not even looking.."

Carter sat up on his elbows and glanced over at her.

She literally looked no different in his eyes than she did the last time she asked how she looked thirty minutes ago.

"Beautiful... what's different?"

"Dude... I literally put my hair up," she muttered, making him laugh. "Clearly you hate it," she said as she began to pluck out all the different bobby pins she had spent the last half hour perfecting.

She should have just went with leaving her hair down, instead of asking for his input and getting no reaction after thirty minutes.

"Babyyy.." he groaned, sitting up from the bed. He walked towards her bathroom and stood at the entryway, watching as she pulled her hair out of all the pins. "You look beautiful with your hair up, hair down.. it don't matter..."

"It does matter. You said yourself this is very important to your dad so I have to look the part," she said, ironically standing in a white tank top and white panties.

She wasn't even dressed yet, but she spent her time in her makeup and it looked fantastic. Her hair on the other hand... Nico grumbled when a bobby pin got stuck.

"I lied, it's not that big a deal.." Carter said, knowing she'd take another thirty minutes.

And he initially lied about the timing saying his dad's birthday party started at 8 when it actually started at 9 because he knew she'd take forever.

Carter checked the time on his watch to see it was 9:13 and sighed as he watched her collect her hair in her hands.

"But an updo looks better with the dress that I'm wearing," she muttered, putting her hair up again and turning her head to the side as she looked into the mirror. "Hm? What do you think about this?" She showed him the back where she planned to a sleek updo. "And then a right side part, because the dress is one shoulder on the left.. ya know? To balance things out," she looked into his eyes in the mirror.

"Sure," Carter shrugged, having no clue what any of the shit she just said meant.

Nico glared at him, wanting a more enthusiastic reaction.

"Baby," he laughed, grabbing her by the hips and pulling her towards him. He rested his chin on her shoulder. "You look good either way... pleaaase hurry up," he begged her as he kissed her shoulder.

"I'll be quick," she promised, despite taking her time intricately parting her hair with a fine tooth comb and then brushing it back. "We won't be late."

"It's 9:15... we are late," he said, though he refused to let her go as he held her close, making her job harder.

She smiled guiltily, hurrying up just the slightest bit.

"Are you nervous?"

"About what?" He murmured into her skin before kissing it softly.

"About your speech.." she reminded him.

He practiced the speech he'd be giving at his father's party on her a few times, and it was a great and funny speech, but Carter hated public speaking.

He was only doing it because his dad asked him.