Forty-nine (Part 2)

There was a certain look in Carter's eyes that made Nico fear that whatever was about to happen wouldn't be good.

She stepped into his path and rested a hand on his chest.

"Carter.." she said softly, but he quickly removed her hand and stepped around her, not even glancing her way.

She knew better than to get in his way again, and even though she wanted to deescalate the situation as quickly as possible, her best bet was to stay out the way.

"You musta lost your mind.." he stepped right in front of Zach.

He clearly had, if he had the gall to stand there speaking to Nico while he gave a speech, right in front of him for his eyes to see too.

This nigga was bold.

Zach squared his shoulders as he held his stance and stared right back at Carter. "This has nothing to do with you," he said simply.

"It has everything to do with me, you crazy?! What business you got talking to my girl?? That little shit between y'all is dead as fuck, move around my nigga."

Where Zach's demeanor was calm and collected, Carter's was erratic and unsettled, and Nico knew it wouldn't end well that way.

She glanced around the room to see if anybody was paying attention to them, but the crowd had dispersed as they headed for the bar as loud music began playing.

Dale was standing at the same spot as he watched on curiously, but he could only see the back of Carter's head. On the side of the room, Nico saw Kenny was the only other person paying attention, and he had a better view as he looked between the way the two men stood and felt the tension.

His eyes caught Nico's, and the fear in her eyes made his brows slowly furrow.

"Like I said, this has nothing to do with you. I was speaking to Nico."

Just hearing her name come out of his mouth sparked something in Carter, and he felt his fists tightening at his sides.

"Don't even say her name," he gritted the words out.

Zach chuckled as he shook his head, his gaze shifting towards Nico easily. "We can talk some other time about what you want," he told her simply, his tone much softer when speaking with her than with Carter.

She stood frozen in fear, unable to speak a reply, even though she was bursting with the words 'no, we won't!'.

Carter scoffed. "Y'all ain't talking, ever. Imma tell you what she wants and it ain't you. Whatever you thought was gone happen after y'all little vacation.... it's not gone happen."

A knowing smile began to spread across Zach's features. "A lot happened on that vacation.. place had great food, great beaches, great sunsets.."

Carter's nose flared in anger and Nico frowned, because she knew he was saying that knowing she had told him once that sunsets reminded her of Carter.

He was being petty using the things she told him against her and she knew it.

"Great pussy too. Her shit is amazing.." Zach smiled, taunting him further.

"Best in the fuckin world," Carter shot right back, tipping his chin upwards.

Tears stung her eyes at the tastelessness of the words they exchanged about her.

Zach's smirk shifted from Carter to Nico.

"We should get away again," he said, gazing deep into her eyes before raising a brow. "Maybe France this time.."