Twenty-two

Nico laid in her bed staring into Jada's light brown eyes while hers blurred with tears.

It was Friday, April 27th and she was happy to have gotten over the curve that was the 26th. Jada came over straight after work when she found out Nico returned from her week at her parents. Brian, her boss, was kind enough to give her the week off, as he knew first hand the toll her sister's death had taken on her.

Jada gently caressed Nico's cheek.

They had been laying there for twenty minutes, just silently looking at one another. Nico's eyes filling with tears made Jada's fill as well.

"I can't look," Nico said, and Jada nodded.

Her stomach was in her throat.

"What if it's positive?" Jada asked the hard question.

Nico wiped the tear as it fell down her nose and onto her pillow. "I don't know."

She couldn't put it off anymore as her period was more than two weeks late at that point, and she was blissfully distracted by family and celebrating Emi's life through the week that she could ignore the biggest issue on her mind.

"You're probably just stressed," Jada tried to reason. "It's a big toll on your body to still deal with grief."

Nico wanted to welcome her optimism, but she couldn't. She had been optimistic and oblivious for a week, it was time to be realistic.

"It's not stress, Jada. I know what it's gonna say."

"If you know what it's gonna say, why can't we just look?"

She felt her heart stop at the thought of reading 'positive' on the pregnancy test she'd taken. "I just.. I need five more minutes," she reasoned.

She wanted to stay ignorant for a little bit longer.

"Okay," Jada said and wiped her tears that fell. "It's not the worst thing in the world.."

"It is," Nico responded. "I can't afford a baby. I barely have enough money left for groceries sometimes."

"Good thing you didn't make this baby yourself.." she responded sarcastically.

Nico shook her head.

More terrified than finding out if she actually was pregnant, she feared what Carter's reaction would be.

"You know they say your number of eggs start declining when you hit 25.."

Nico stared at her best friend.

"What? I'm just saying... now's the time girl. Eggs are perfectly healthy and abundant... plus I wanna be an aunt, and I don't usually like those little gremlin looking creatures but I'm sure you two would make the cutest baby," she cooed.

Nico began to cry harder, prompting Jada to wrap her arms around her best friend.

"I'm kidding.."

She just wanted to make light of a very heavy situation.

"Why are you afraid of telling Carter?"

"What if he wants to keep it?" She could barely get the words out as she feared what that would do to them.

She had a sharply different view on what she'd spent the week deciding, and if her biggest fear had come true, and she was fearful he felt the opposite.

Jada made a face. "Then he can go impregnate himself and make his own baby."

Nico sat up in the bed.

"I'm just saying, it's not the worst thing in the world. You have options.."