Thirty-nine

Nico used her fingertips to spread the hyaluronic serum around her face as she exited the bathroom.

Carter laid quietly on the bed with his hand interlocked on his chest as he followed her with his eyes. Nico took her time sauntering towards the bed before standing at the foot and smiling guiltily at him.

"That wasn't two minutes. That was like twenty," he pointed out.

She said she'd be quick and asked him not to go to sleep without her, but she never missed finishing up her nighttime skincare routine. And since she'd practically moved all her skincare things in while he was away, she had no excuse for skipping out on her routine.

"I can't help that it takes time to stay the most beautiful girl in the world," she grinned as she hopped onto the bed.

She straddled his waist and planted her hands on his bare chest.

"I wouldn't say you the most beautiful, I'd say you bout a five."

She gasped and smacked his chest. "Take it back!"

He smirked. "Aight... a six.." he said and then grabbed her hand before she could smack him again, laughing at the look on her face.

She lowered her hand back to her side. "I'm gonna let that slide because I kept you waiting. But don't worry, mommy's here now to tuck you in, okay?" She teased as she leaned down to peck his lips.

Carter laughed. "You're weird as fuck, Nico."

"Am I?" She rolled off his chest and laid down next to him. She tucked her hands beneath her cheek and tilted her head up to face him. "So then how come you missed me so much if I'm so weird? Spent all your days thinking about my weird self.."

"Ain't think about you once," he lied.

Even while he was across the country, she was on his mind constantly. He wondered what she was doing, who she was with, what she ate, how work was going, and everything in between. He wondered if she liked the flowers he sent her, and he wondered if he should have sent more so she wouldn't forget about him.

Nico frowned. "Really?"

He turned from facing the ceiling to see the adorable pout on her lips.

Carter shrugged. "Saw a couple eights and nines, had me forgetting about the six at home."

"Wow."

Nico immediately turned around to sleep facing the other direction, making him laugh.

"You such a baby," Carter teased as he reached for her waist and pulled her close when she tried to scoot to the edge of the bed.

"You're mean," she told him.

"Chill," he said once she tried to fight her way out of his grip.

He was still jet lagged from his trip and wanted to relax in bed with her was all.

Carter pulled her into his chest. "I'm playin.."

She eased into his hold and rested her head against his chest.

His soft breaths rose and fell with his chest, and Nico used it as a template for her own breathing.

"Well, I don't play like that."

She took that personally, because she did worry about all the beautiful women he'd meet in LA, and the worries only grew the last few days of his trip when he stopped messaging and calling her.