Twenty-four

Thursday

"Nico..."

"No."

"Nico, please.."

"It's my body," she said.

"I know it's your body, but it's my baby–"

"Don't say that," she snapped as she shot deadly eyes at him.

It wasn't a baby.

"It's my... DNA," he pivoted. "Don't I get some say? Can we please just talk about it?"

He was having trouble sleeping the entire week.

"Why?! Why do we have to talk about it?!"

She was already overwhelmed as it was, and having him in the back of her mind, chipping away at what little conviction she had to go through with the appointment tomorrow was the last thing she needed.

Carter paced the living room in front of her.

"I feel like we're making a mistake."

"You mean me," she accused.

"No, we," he reiterated as he stopped pacing and kneeled down in front of her. "I'm in this with you, Nico. I promised I was, no matter what you decide. But I just.. I don't know man," he was so torn.

Carter placed his head in her lap.

"I've been through this before, Nico. And I didn't feel a fraction of what I'm feeling right now. It doesn't feel like the right decision," he told her, glancing up at her with teary eyes.

Nico's eyes were already watering, and had been since he showed up that evening.

"I can't have a baby right now, Carter. I don't want it, and I would only resent you for it. I don't wanna hate you," she touched her hand to his cheek.

Carter blinked and a tear slid from his eye. "I don't wanna hate you either."

Friday

The car ride was quiet, not even music played. Nico stared straight ahead outside the windshield window at the red car in front of her, her mind dazed. All over, she felt numb and as if she wasn't in reality. Another part of her thought she was still dreaming.

The entire clinic visit she put on a brave face as she answered all the doctor's questions about her health and about her life. She said nothing when he told her she had three options, nodded 'yes' when he asked if she was sure in her decision and rubbed her thumbs together when he told her that her reasons were valid and that she wasn't alone.

Except, she felt extremely alone.

She didn't cry when he wrote the prescription, nor did she waver as she took the small pill into her hand and swallowed it down with some water.

"The first part is complete. Nurse Diane will bring you the other medication. Remember to take it after 24 hours, not a moment before. I'll see you next week to follow up and for your birth control appointment. Please call the office if you need anything or have any questions between," he had said before he left, leaving Nico to stare at the white walls – alone.

She was numb.

It wasn't until the nurse came in with sympathetic look that she felt tears well in her eyes.

"You did the best you could with what you had," the older lady told Nico as she placed the medication down on the table.

Nico grabbed it and walked out without a word, leaving one cold, lonely place and entered another when she walked into Carter's arms.