Seventeen (Part 1)

Carter was lacing up his basketball shoes as he sat on the bench alongside the wall. A few guys stopped by to greet him by slapping hands before taking a seat and also changing into their playing attire.

The indoor gym he went to was packed the entire weekend as groups rented out a court to play for a few hours. More courts were booked and occupied on Saturdays than they were on Sundays, which was why he and his friends preferred a Sunday morning ball run. Not only were they guaranteed a spot, it also wasn't too loud. For some reason though, it just felt busier today than most Sundays.

"Is it just me or there's mad people here today?"Ty asked.

"It's not just you, I'm wondering the same thing. Niggas don't go to church no more?" Jalen wondered as he saw another group of guys enter the gym.

"Nigga, why aren't you at church? You need that shit bad," Carter responded and a few guys chuckled at their exchange.

Jalen grinned. "I woke up late cause I was with yo grandma all night."

More laughter erupted from the group.

Carter chuckled as well, mostly at how Jalen was laughing hysterically at his own stupid ass joke. "It's funny now but when I fuck your sister, it's gone be a problem."

"Ayo," Jalen called as the laugh and smile wiped off his face completely. "That ain't funny," he said, because it was a real possibility that existed.

Carter snickered at the look on his best friend's face as he finished tying his shoes and then stood up. "She coming today? Might show out just for her.."

Jalen's sister Kyla sometimes stopped by to help out at the indoor gym, as her friend's dad owned the place, so she was a regular spectator at their pick up games. She was only a couple years younger than them, so she practically grew up hanging with Jalen and his friends. It was no wonder why she stuck around and who she enjoyed watching play the most, almost everybody in the gym knew it, including Jalen. 

"Chill, before I get Tiana ass back on your case.."

Carter quickly raised his hands in surrender. "My fault, gang."

Ty and Aaron howled at his response.

"She put the fear of God into this nigga," Ty remarked.

"That's what a crazy woman will do to ya. Have you forgetting what peace and quiet once was, cause all you used to is getting yelled at and your phone blowing up. Can't even enjoy a meal cause halfway through ya spicy chicken sandwich you get a call asking why your follower count up my one. I can't blame ya, man," Aaron shook his head slowly.

Silence floated above the group.

"Nigga... who hurt you?" Jalen asked in a genuine tone before they all cracked up laughing and clowning Aaron.

Carter laughed as he peeled the sweatshirt he wore off, revealing the Nike tank he had underneath before grabbing a basketball off the rack. He dribbled the ball onto the court and then got some shots up to warm up as he waited for the rest of the group to get ready.

There was a certain feel in the gym when a woman entered, as it was mostly dominated by groups of men, so when Carter glanced at the door slamming shut, he wasn't surprised to see Kyla and Tiana walking in, clipboards in hand.

He put up a three pointer that went in and jogged over to grab the ball.

"Hey Carter," Kyla waved him over.

"What's happening?" He smiled, earning a wide one back.

"Nothing.. just making sure things are running smoothly," she shook the clipboard in her hand.