CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

*✧・゚: *✧・゚: chapter twenty six

Hyunjin knows he's going to struggle to get through this. As his sweaty palms grip the steering wheel, following the route he knows like the back of his hand, he knows.

He hadn't told you where he was going today, but you ought to know. The date was one the two of you had been anticipating for a while. For the past three years, Hyunjin had this date engraved in his brain.

He pulled up to the gated entrance of his father's house, if you could even call it that. It was practically a mansion. Upon recognising his face, the security system let him through instantly, opening the electronic gateway for Hyunjin to drive through. He did so, pulling up and parking in a space at the side of the house. He took a deep breath as he turned the ignition off, grabbing his phone and keys before heading towards the front door.

He rings the bell anxiously, wringing his hands in an attempt to stay calm. After maybe a minute, his father opens the door wearing an expensive suit, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Hyunjin. Good to see you," he says curtly, making space for Hyunjin to walk into the large hallway. He says nothing as Mr Hwang closes the door behind him and moves in front of him, leading him towards his large office. How typical, Hyunjin thinks, that he comes to see his father and it's instantly regarded as a business matter. He shouldn't have expected anything less.

"I take it you're here to talk about the contract ending," his father sits in his grand looking chair, motioning for Hyunjin to sit in one opposite. He's already got the upper hand, this power dynamic making Hyunjin more nervous than he already is. He didn't come here to argue. He didn't come to make the relationship with his father worse, but he already has an idea of how things will play out.

"I am, yes," Hyunjin replies calmly. His dad nods, clasping his hands and placing them on the table in front of him. "Three years are over. I'm out."

Hyunjin feels like a kid, the way his dad smiles all knowingly. It's a smile that screams, oh boy, you don't know anything.

"I'm afraid it's not as simple as that."

And there it is.

"Why is that?" Hyunjin questions, not letting his voice falter. "I've done what you asked of me. I followed the contract; I've been at your aid every time you called, made sure you were okay -"

"I know what you did, Hyunjin," his father cuts him off. "I'm fully aware of the contractual details, you don't need to explain them to me."

"If you're so aware of the details," Hyunjin mocks, his calm demeanour slipping for a second. "Then you should be aware that the contract ends today. Legally I am not obligated to do anything more for you. That's it, end of story."

Hyunjin notices the glass of whisky sitting on the table. How could he not. He notices the stack of papers in front of his father, he knows where this is going. If he walked into this thinking his father would end the contract on good terms, part ways and act civilly with one another henceforth, he would have walked in an idiot.