The Long Sleep

Cassian

Present Day

"The experts think that we'll be able to make a name in clean energy within seven years. That is, if everything stays on track. A lot of investors want to get in on it, but I understand Mr. Varus doesn't want any outsiders, so the total..."

I find it easy as of late to tune out meetings. Once, I was very invested in them. Not only were they the key to our future, but they kept my mind off of my past. Living for hundreds of years becomes mentally exhausting at a certain point. Having the option to presently occupy my mind is a luxury I enjoyed. But now that Neytiri has shown signs of actually awakening, I can't keep my mind on anything else.

She's been in a deep slumber for centuries. Only Ancient's that have mastered the power flowing through their veins are able to go into hibernation for centuries at a time, which leaves me in the dark on why Neytiri's body did. But thanks to modern technology, her body is showing signs of awakening and I'm happy to have her back.

I've had a long time to reflect on who I was then and who I've become now. When I discovered that she was alive my first instinct was to take her away. But seeing as I was the cause of her coma induced state, I remained in the cavern by her side, stepping into my own slumber for years. When I finally awoke, as I had anticipated, the world had changed.

The lands I gave to them were no more as they decided to try their own hands at conquest. But they failed resulting in Dragonborn scattering across the world. The Dragonborn are known for their need to lead which was why the hierarchy was so important. In hindsight, I never should have left them for so long without a king.

But after convincing myself to leave Neytiri's side, I decided to see how the world healed without me. And to my disappointment, it did not. The world was much bigger than any of us that the time could have imagined. With the silence of the Ancients, the humans grew into their greed and selfishness creating weapons to turn on one another.

The existence of us is all but a memory now; a whisper on the lips of lore. We have become legends and folklore that parents tell their children for entertainment. Our history and culture have been shaped into one fitting of the theatre and books. Pure entertainment. And as I watched the world of humans fear and turn on what was different, I knew the need for our people to have a safe haven would grow.

Humanity has proven time and time again that it cannot be trusted. If any of us were to fall into their custody I fear the worst would befall us. Humans have always feared what they do not understand and hated what was different. I've watched their brutal ways etch itself into history. I am not impressed.

So with my newfound purpose, I founded a company. It was simple since I'd been around long enough to understand the patterns of humanity. They crave things that are beyond their understanding. Advancements, they call it. And it wasn't difficult for me to come up with something they would want. Naturally, we are highly intelligent creatures. We must be so that we are able to understand the power that runs through us and how to control and manifest it.

I formed Tarragon Industries and took on a new alias every sixty or so years to "keep it in the family", and with the help of the Terrans, I created this island. It's large enough to house my company, mine, and Neytiri's people. It was my way to offer them a way of life and keep the rest of the world out. It's a safe place that no human has ever been allowed to set foot on.

Until now, that is.

"Mr. Varus?"

My attention is pulled back to the screen where the company's analyst is watching me.

"That all sounds very good Justin."

I use the second screen to pull up projections, studying them. It's been three months since I brought doctors to the island. Each of them specializes in a form of genetics and biology which has helped immensely with her recovery. My one rule was that no human would ever set foot on this island, but with her being so close to awakening, I broke that rule. If it comes down to it, I will kill them for the safety of my people. But for now, I can rely on non-disclosure agreements.