Fight For your Life

Neytiri

The venue for Cassian's press conference is extravagant. There are people everywhere, all of which are extremely interested in everything Cassian has to say. There are cameras, food, and drinks everywhere. And the people here seem to be indulging in all of it. The interior of the room is only for those that are press and investors, and what Cassian calls "important figures of society".

"They're going to introduce you first. The investors really want into this project so we'll give them plenty of time to have one on one conversations with you after the announcement."

Cassian's press agent is speaking to him with excitement in his eyes as he goes over the afternoon. He seems eager to please Cassian without a clue of who he really is. I stand quietly in the corner with Ulric by my side, watching Cassian seamlessly blend in with this society while simultaneously standing out. Ulric has yet to speak to me outside of his formal greetings.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask looking at him.

"Of course, Your Highness."

I grimace at his formal tone as his gaze remains forward.

"When Cassian lost his way, why did you never turn on him?" I ask.

Ulric thinks about my question for a moment before turning to look at me. His bright amber gaze is the color Caius's once way before he changed his alliances. Ulric silently searches my gaze. I'm not sure what he's looking for, but after a moment he finally responds.

"Cassian has struggled with more in his reign than his father ever had to. His father was a man of peace. He wanted understanding among the different Ancients. He wanted friendship to be his connection with the humans. His father craved peace too much. He was far too trusting. Especially for a King. He raised Cassian with those ideals. Cassian would have been a great King. He knew the benefit of peace, but also the firmness that needed to be in place with becoming King."

"I have never doubted his decisions. I trust that everything he does, he does in the best interest of those he cares for. Having his family taken from him was a torturous thing to see. Seeing him try and cope with that reality was impossible to watch. But having lost so much, he is always thinking about those he cares for. And I believe his people are among those. So I will never doubt him."

My eyes widen at his words. I look back to Cassian who is speaking with the coordinator. He has a serious look on his face as he speaks with the man. His mannerism is distant and cold. Something that has changed in the time he has been with me. Ulric is right. Everything Cassian does is to protect those he loves. As the daughter of a king myself, I understand his resolve. My father was willing to do the same thing to protect his people. Even if it meant giving his daughter to the very people he hates.

Cassian chooses this moment to make his way toward me and Ulric. He takes my hand in his leading me away from the center of the stage.

"I've prepared a private box for you to watch the conference from. Noam will keep watch over you during the conference and bring you to me once the conference ends."

I nod my head looking around the room.

"Do you think any of these people are the ones that attacked?" I ask. Cassian looks around.

"I hope not, for their sake," he says.

I look at him in shock, his dark tone reminding me just of who he is behind the suit.

"Cassian, you can't risk exposing yourself for me," I warn.

Cassian frowns.

"If any danger befalls you, I will not hesitate to protect you."