Healing

Caius

I've only ever felt so helpless once in my life. In our past when I began to turn on Cassian for Neytiri, he used his power as my king to control my actions, forcing me under his will. He used me to break down what little defenses Neytiri had. At the time I felt helpless as if there was nothing I could do to change the outcome. Today that emotion has repeated itself.

I'm sprinting into the ocean surrounding Brineau. The water is up to my waist slowing me down as the Merina swim swiftly through the water towards me. Their people among us informed me of the news only minutes ago. Neytiri was attacked on the mainland. Her injuries are critical and at this point, no one knows if she will make it. I knew I should have gone. I should have protected her. And now not only is her life in danger but everything we've built here.

My heart is pounding as the Mirena shift, bringing Neytiri above water.

"Neytiri!" I scream as I make my way towards her.

The Mirena carrying her looks at me with her strange eyes, but I see concern on her features as she hands her off to me.

"She swam to the depths. We were able to keep oxygen in her lungs with our remedies but that is all we could do until we arrived here. I'm sorry."

My chest aches. Neytiri's body is cold and not in the way it should be. Nausea runs over me as I take in her wounds. Large bullet holes have found their way on her body. This would have killed any human.

"What have they done," I whisper.

I shift my gaze to the Mirena.

"Thank you. We are in your debt," I say turning away.

"Just save her, Xindrite. You cannot let her die. She is our last hope to be led into a new age. All of us are watching."

Cassian

I made a mistake.

I revealed her to the world, and now I am paying the price for making such a mistake. I never should have let my guard down, nor should I have let her see the world outside of ours. I put too much weight on her as queen, and now I am paying the price. I flinch as my chest burns from the wound she inflicted on me in an attempt to protect my identity.

The attack is all over every news outlet. No one knows specifically what has happened. All they know is that there was an explosion and shots fired at the press conference. In all of the commotion, the cameras surrounding the area just happened to be out. I assume it is because whoever attacked doesn't want her exposed. They want her for themselves. And they almost succeeded. Thankfully, the surrounding ancients did their part in protecting her. The Mirena brought her back to Brineau under the safe cover of the ocean's depths. Though they could do nothing other than keep oxygen in her lungs. Now, it is up to the healers. And as I sit, waiting for the news, I'm pulled deeper into the sinking feeling of despair.

The humans who attacked were a tactical team. They planned this, possibly for a very long time to be so prepared in separating us before they decided to attack. What they weren't expecting was for Neytiri to be ready for them. The only upside is anyone who was caught recording on their phones didn't get enough to prove anything. The world thinks it was a publicity stunt, especially after she jumped into the freezing ocean and never resurfaced. But I know better than to let my guard down now. It's only a matter of time before the same organization that attacked forces its way onto the island. Everyone here is in danger, and Neytiri hasn't even awakened.

"Cassian."

Caius is standing in front of me with a grim expression. I look away in irritation, my gaze landing on the emergency room doors.

"What do you want?" I snap.

"You need to get some rest. It's been three days and you still have yet to let a healer look at you."

"I'm not leaving," I snap.

Caius releases an irritated breath, looking in the direction of the doors along with me.

"You know, you were supposed to protect her Cassian. You stopped me from going and protecting my queen on the mainland because you thought you could do it better. If she dies, it is because of your pride."

I'm out of my seat before he can finish his sentence smashing him into the wall. I hear the gasp of the workers but none of them approach. They know not to as Caius and I glare at each other, but I see no fear in his eyes. Only hatred and anger.

"Your Highness."

I whip my gaze in the direction of the new voice to see the lead healer. It takes me a moment to gather myself, slowly releasing Caius from my grip. She watches the action, waiting until Caius is safe on the ground to speak again.

"The queen has responded well to treatment. It's safe to say she's out of the woods."

Her smile is comforting as she looks at me and I almost collapse in relief. I take a step toward the doors but the healer stops me, her gaze heavy.

"She is very weak, your highness. Very weak."

I slowly nod, pausing to speak to Caius before I leave.

"Thank you for all that you've done to protect her, Caius. I'll never be able to repay you for your service."

I don't wait for his response as I follow the healer to Neytiri's room.

She's still asleep when I enter. I feel helpless looking at her like this. She seems so fragile. The usual glow about her has vanished entirely. The aura of an ancient has withered itself dormant. She is extremely weak. Watching her brings back memories from the moment I ended her in battle. I will always count myself favored by the gods to have been given a second chance with her.

I gently place my fingers along her cheek. Her usual chilled skin is unnaturally warm. The wounds from the attack have yet to heal as well, the bandages have soaked in her blood. The weapons they used were created specifically to harm her. The blueprints Hynden received confirmed my fears and she still has yet to track down the proper manufacturer.

I take a deep breath in a pathetic attempt to calm my anger. I got so lucky; again. I failed as her protector. And in her attempt to protect everyone on this island, including me, she sacrificed herself. I failed.

"You held your own, that's for sure. I always knew you'd be a fearsome warrior," I murmur.

She created a barrier of ice and fought on her own with only Noam to aid her. Even then she used herself as bait to save him and me, taking on all the damage. And because she infused her ice, I couldn't get through. She used every ounce of her power in her last moments to ensure I didn't show my true nature. She jumped into the water, not knowing what awaited her or if anyone would save her.

I bring her hand to my lips, pressing a soft kiss there.

"I won't let them get away with this. I will burn their world to the ground. You will never have to go through this again."