Looming Threats

Cassian

I barge through the doors without hesitation to find healers surrounding Neytiri's unconscious body. Her doctors stand in the corner of the room with expressions of awe at the light aura that surrounds her form from the healers' knowledgeable hands. I study her heavily, my gaze narrowing as I take in the chaotic state of her power. Her hair flows lightly, the ends dissipating into a mist of snow. The markings on her arms continue to glow as well, her body trying to force itself to output more power than she can control.

She's in her purest form, which is extremely dangerous for all of us if she awakens.

The door opens behind me as Caius enters, and my rage is no longer under my control. I whip around, pressing my forearm into his throat as I smash his body into the wall. Gasps fill the air as the loose items in the room tremble from the force.

"What the hell happened!"

Caius's gaze is level as he watches me, his expression calm, his traitorous blue eyes reflecting back at me. I release a growl, pressing into his throat, cutting off his air supply. His eyes widen slightly as he struggles for breath.

"I left her with you because I thought you would protect her. Is this protection?" I hiss.

I tense when I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Cassian."

Ulric has entered the room, his voice breaking through my anger. When I look at him, he's watching me with a cautious expression.

"You have to put him down. He can't tell us what happened like this."

I narrow my gaze. I know he's right, but every piece of me feels rage at Caius for failing to protect Neytiri. I release a sharp breath releasing Caius. He falls to his knees coughing as he sucks in heavy breaths.

"Speak now. While you still have a tongue."

Caius rubs his throat as he looks at me.

"I don't know who attacked us or where they came from. I don't even know how they found the island."

My hands ball into fists as I once again fight my anger. I bend to his level, my gaze narrowing as I study him. Heat radiates from my pores as my anger fights its way to the surface.

"How could you possibly not know?" I growl.

Caius looks up and all of my anger dissipates in an instant. Fear is plastered on his features, his gaze whipping from me to Neytiri.

"There was no one left to interrogate. She killed them all."

* * * * *

The silence does little to help the thoughts running through my mind. Even the heat from the fireplace does nothing to comfort me. Dread has settled in the pit of my stomach, taking hold of my existence as I study the small dart in my hand. The chamber is empty, and the metal tip is comprised of elements targeting Neytiri's body composition. The tranquilizer itself held enough fluid to put down a bear.

Whoever attacked Neytiri knew her body composition. They've studied her DNA enough to know how to combat it. Caius said regular bullets had no effect which is to be expected. High projectile lead is nowhere near strong enough to penetrate our skin. Normal blades aren't either. Only Rodrog steel can and humans have no access to it. Only Ancients know where and how to mine it.

Unfortunately, Neytiri was more powerful than they were led to believe and they went from firing tranquilizers to lethal rounds. At least with Neytiri killing all of them we were able to confiscate the weapons they brought. They're being sent to the labs right now to see exactly what the humans have created.