The Dragonborn & The Ikniri

Neytiri

Cassian drives us to the base of the mountain and we hike the rest of the way. The hike takes about an hour, but I don't mind. It's the first time I've been allowed outside for such a long period of time. It feels wonderful to have the air in my lungs and feel the burn of my muscles as I push them.

I look around the mountainside as we reach the peak. The wind blows fervently at this altitude, making my plan perfect. I take a step to the edge of the mountain, looking at the flat grassland beneath. And further, beyond that, the waves crash against the edge of the mountain creating the jagged pattern that's taken centuries. The sight alone brings back so many wonderful memories and emotions. I feel desire to embrace it but when I look at Cassian, he has a look of indifference on his face.

He senses my gaze, looking at me.

"What?" he asks.

I step past him looking at the land.

"Have years of adapting made you see the world as the humans do?" I ask. I hold my hands out, allowing the breeze to whip through my hair simultaneously melting my troubles away.

I inhale deeply looking at Cassian.

"It's beautiful here," I say with a smile.

His gaze shifts back over the land and I make my way to where he stands. At this moment, at the top of this mountain, I feel only excitement. No fear. And as I step close to Cassian, placing my hands against his chest, the fear remains unseen. I'm at peace.

"You've spent so many years trying to accustom yourself to humanity. Has anyone told you it's okay to be a Dragonborn? It's okay to be proud of your people, even if you made a mistake. You still exist, you do not have to wipe your existence out. Just... be free, Cassian."

Cassian's deep gaze bores into my own.

"Free?" he repeats.

I nod stepping around him.

"You forget, I knew you when you were a king. Before you let the world change you."

Cassian laughs, pulling my attention. He has a smug grin on his lips, his playfulness bubbling to the surface. He steps closer to me, his smile widening to reveal his dimple.

"And how exactly has the world changed me, naive Ikniri?" he asks.

Now it's my turn to laugh. I stand on the tips of my toes to match his height as I speak.

"You've become passive, Cassian. You've stuffed away who you are."

I step back, taking in that intimidating gaze. Cassian doesn't respond as he watches me. But I can see the challenge in his gaze.

"Come, Dragonborn. Show me what you are made of."

I hold my palms out, embracing the surge of the chill that rushes over my body, settling in the tips of my fingers. A powerful blast releases from my palms as snow and ice billow into the wind around me. I smile as the chill caresses my skin, the snow settling on me before melting into the ground below.

"Be free."

Cassian doesn't move and for a moment I think he is going to explode, but he doesn't. He smiles a mischievous grin, pushing his hair out of his face.

"Be free, you say?"

A giggle escapes my lips and I nod my head vigorously.

"I must be out of my mind," he grumbles.

He slowly steps back, keeping his gaze lined to mine and I finally see it. He's letting the wall down that he has built up for this new world.

His eyes glow incredibly bright, an aura of heat surrounding him. Even his hair slightly ripples within the wave. A low growl rumbles from his chest, the vibration sending a chill up my spine and I watch in awe as his form begins to grow. He grows larger until he falls forward on his hands and knees. His fingers elongate with thick claws expanding on the ends as thick scales begin to grow from within his skin. He arches his back slightly and wings rip from his flesh, just as a tail whips around behind him.

My eyes are wide as I watch the shifting of an actual Dragonborn. I'm forced to crane my neck as Cassian grows taller than the trees. Horns protrude from his skull, and my eyes widen as I take in the full form of a Dragonborn. He rears his head, opening his mouth to reveal rows of sharp teeth, and a loud bellowing roar ripping past his jowls. I gasp in awe trying to catch my breath from the magnificence of the beast in front of me.

And to my shock, tears form in my eyes and I join Cassian in his roar, screaming my excitement over the mountainside.

The first time I ever saw Cassian in this form was when we were running from him, his intent to burn us alive evident. But now as I look at him, I feel excitement. All of my terror from before dissipates. His gaze shifts to me, and he gently dips his head allowing me to reach out with shaky fingers, and touch him. My eyes travel to the markings that are usually ingrained on his skin. They now reflect from his scales beautifully in the sun.

"Wow," I whisper.

A deep rumble sounds around me and Cassian is watching me with an amused glint in his eyes. I step to the edge of the mountain, the wind billowing in my hair before I turn to look at Cassian.

"Fly! Be free!"

His claws dig into the ground as he anchors himself, the dirt pooling beneath his weight. His large wings open, catching the air and from my close proximity, I feel the wind surrounding me shift as he pulls it with him. The sun's rays are blocked temporarily from the large span of his wings and suddenly, he takes off. The force of the wind he creates blasts me back into the grass, the sound of his roar filling the skies and echoing for miles.

I immediately scamper up to watch him take flight. He's massive, his form easily outweighing any plane. The beat of his wings can be heard even from this distance, the force capturing the wind beneath him forcing nature to bend to his will. He opens his jowls, a blast of flames erupting as he flies through them.

He's beautiful.

I don't fight my further excitement as chants from my youth leave my lips. The sounds of my people that echoes throughout centuries. Cassian turns, coming back in the direction of the cliff-side. I jump up and down, screaming my excitement as he passes me again, doing a spin mid-air as he releases more flames from his jowls.

"Whoo-ahh!" I shriek.

I feel so much joy at this moment. I feel freedom that I haven't felt since I was a child. Cassian loops back around, his eyes meeting mine as he passes and I follow my instinct, sprinting to the edge of the mountain. I don't stop, launching myself from the edge. I spread my arms and legs in excitement, feeling the wind caress every part of me as I fall. But my heart is alive and my skin tingles with anticipation.

I feel him through the blood oath before I see him. Cassian swoops under me, and I grab onto him as he passes under me. His body is warm, radiating with the heat he was born with. But the chill of the wind feels wonderful as we fly higher, making our way above the clouds. The water within them soaks my skin and as I look beneath us, I notice the ocean beneath us disappears. Only the sky and clouds surround us now, a symphony of blue and white giving off its own rippled pattern.

It's magnificent.

I toss my head back laughing as Cassian keeps a steady beat beneath me.

"Whoo!"

I find myself laying on Cassian as he flies, trusting myself with him completely. This is the freedom I crave. This is the life I envisioned.

I place my palm against him, rubbing in a circular pattern.

"This is what it is to be free... this is what I want for us. For all of us."