Actions Beget Consequences

Neytiri

Actions beget consequences.

In the past, my father constantly said these words to my brothers. Of course, they never held them in high regard and as a result, I never did either. The consequences of their actions were always laughter and joy. Now, the consequences of their actions have trickled down over centuries to where I am now. And as a result of the bloody history, my actions have cost me my freedom.

More of Cassian's men take suitcases and boxes of files to the waiting car in the drive. We're leaving the island. And unlike last time, I have no choice. I have injured Cassian far too many times. And now, I must accept the consequences of my actions. As my brothers never did. My gaze shifts to the window where I can see Cassian speaking with Ulric. He has a stern look on his face, one that I haven't seen since awakening.

My gaze shifts to my hands. It's been two days since my attack and I've barely seen Cassian since. When I awoke, he was healed but when I started to apologize he was dismissive saying that it was nothing to worry about. And now two days later, we are leaving the island without so much as a discussion. But this isn't something I can fight. Not when I caused it. I must face the consequences of my actions.

It was terrifying not knowing what triggered my power or how to control it. Seeing Cassian lying there unconscious was also a shocking reminder of how dangerous I am. I thought I could control myself and learn to be a part of this world without his interference, but I was arrogant.

I look up as the front door is opened and Cassian enters. He's dressed in modern clothing that fit his frame perfectly, adding to his intimidating size. His dark gaze roams the entry area for a second before landing on me. His stoic features soften when he sees me, a smile forming on his lips.

"The jet is ready."

I silently follow Cassian to the car, my gaze falling over the front of the estate. I take in the snow-covered statues and water fountain in the center. I will miss this place immensely. I know that wherever Cassian is taking me will not be the same temperature. It will be warm; a way he can keep me weak without having to constantly monitor me.

Cassian holds the door open for me and I sink into the car, taking in the interior in awe. I have yet to see one in person. Everything I've learned about these things I've seen in the history Caius showed me. They now replace horses and according to the books, they can go faster than a horse for much longer. Cassian slides into the seat next to me placing his hand on the wheel as he presses buttons, and the contraption lurches forward carrying us away from the estate.

As we move down the drive, I slowly turn to take in the estate. The snow has begun to fall again, covering the top of the large house.

"It's not forever, we will return while the snow is still here. I promise."

I sink back into my seat looking at Cassian. He has a lax expression even though he is sitting next to the Ikniri that could snap at any moment, injuring him further. I guess Caius is right. He has changed.

The trip to the airstrip is quiet and takes about twenty minutes. Cassian allowed me the silence to take in the surrounding forests on this island we now call home. It's as beautiful as the estate. I hope he meant it when he said we would be returning. There's so much of this place I would love to explore, including my own village.

We pass through the gate where the large metal machine waits for its passengers. Cassian pulls up to the jet and I see Ulric standing near the door waiting for his king. As Cassian gets out of the car, Ulric's gaze shifts to me, his gaze void of emotion. But I know how he feels about me. He hates every decision Cassian makes when it comes to me.