Awakening

Cassian

The silence that follows us is deafening. Caius is at my left and Ulric is at my right, the tension that hangs in the air between us is heavy on my chest. The closer we get to Neytiri's location, the heavier the surge of energy that emits from the lab feels. Even from this distance, it's almost suffocating. I can't imagine how it will feel once we enter the room.

Upon approach, the guards that have been summoned stand silently waiting for us. I brush past them, rattling off orders as I type in the codes to open the door.

"You are not to enter no matter what. You are to wait for the doctors to emerge and take them to safety. Should Neytiri emerge your first priority is to apprehend her."

Silence greets me forcing me to whip my gaze to the soldiers. Their expressions shift when they take in my rage, immediately standing at attention in unison.

"Yes, sir!"

The door opens behind me pulling my full attention as a blast of chilled air hits us. Not only does the air wash over me, but the underlying magic that flows through it is dark... untamed. It puts me on high alert immediately. I turn to Ulric with a serious expression.

"Stay here."

Ulric's expression shifts to shock.

"Are you-"

"Stay. Here. This isn't her normal level of magic." I look back to the darkened hall as the faint sound of screams drifts toward us.

"Something isn't right," I finish looking at Caius.

"Let's go."

I don't wait for him to respond as I make my way through the hall. This was originally built underneath the mansion when we decided the original resting place for the Ikniri was no longer safe. As such, we moved her and her family to the new resting place on this island with permission from the elders. I made sure to build the lab deep underneath the ground just in case something like this happened, but I wasn't expecting it to happen in the presence of humans.

My eyes immediately adjust to the darkness of the area the deeper we step into to their location. The lights have been blown casting a red glow over us from the emergency lights. A chill ripples up my spine as we round the corner just as someone's scream is cut short.

"Shit," I hiss rounding the corner just in time to see Neytiri standing over the lifeless body of one of the doctors. His arm is broken and his torso has been frozen solid.

"Neytiri!" I shout her name hoping it will pull her out of whatever trance this is, but it doesn't. She whips her gaze to meet mine, her eyes lax of emotion as she studies me. She's as beautiful as the day we fought, her bright blue eyes and white hair a stark reminder of what she is. The world around me seems to fall away as I study her. She's here, alive, and awake. My heart sinks a little when I look into that piercing gaze. I see no recognition there for me. No hatred, no fear, nothing. I am a stranger to her.

"Something is wrong," Caius says behind me. I keep my gaze focused on her, my gaze shifting to take in the doctors huddling in the corner. Some look frightened while others are in awe at the sight before them. I release a breath, taking a small step to the left, and lucky for me, Neytiri's gaze follows.

"Get the doctors," I murmur to Caius.

I take another step, letting a small flame emit from my palm to pull her attention. At least in whatever state this is, she'll see me as a threat. Her gaze narrows and in the next instant she lunges, her hands covered in deadly ice. I catch her attack easily, holding her inches from my face.